Windshield mirror mount removal?

Have any of you ever purposefully removed the rear view mirror mount from your windshield? I've had them fall off other cars, but I can't seem
to get it off of my '04 TJ. I'm thinking a solvent of some sort. Any ideas or advice?
Daniel Bibbens wrote:

You just let the car sit in the sun till the inside is nice and warm, grab the button with a crecent wrench and twist it off. Guess you could use a hair dryer.
Prying with a flat blade is not a good idea as you can crack the windshield.
--
DougW

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

Took this route first and stopped for the reason you mentioned.

[...snipped...]

That did the trick. Fast, too. It took longer to explain to my wife why I was taking her beloved hair dryer out to the garage.
I don't know if it helped, but I put "Goo Gone" on the the mount before heating it up with the dryer. A twist with a pair of channel-lock pliers and it came off. The adhesive peeled off, too, and didn't leave any marks on the glass.
Thanks again.
Lots of people want to know why you chose to remove this part. Because once you take it off, you have no where to hang the rear view mirror.
Earle
writes:

heh....

There are a few reasons.
* First, even if I used the mirror, all I'd see is my dog's goofy face (see the link below).
* Second, the mirror and, to a lesser degree, the mirror mount, blocked my dog's view of the terrain ahead (squirrels, lizards, and coyotes need chasin' ya' know). So, to get a better view, he'd lower his head causing him to move forward slightly. When the inevitable bump came, his foot would slide off the center console into my trail-ready Gatorade bottle. On a typical ride, his foot would have trail bits on it which would then be intermingled with what ever I might have been drinking.
* Third, it was just one more thing that would need to be occasionally dusted and cleaned. I've learned that a squeegee and Windex are fast and effective to clean the windshield. Since I have to clean both sides, (of bugs, trail dust, and dog spit), the mirror mount interfered with a contiguous squeegee pass.
If I didn't have so much fun with my Jeep, I'd swear it was an over-engineered dust-and-doghair-collection-system. I've removed every non-essential part and am working on a custom dashboard. The stock dashboard is the last offending item with all its function-free ledges and curves. I'm not a clean-freak but can live with only so much trail dust and dog hair after the fact. I wonder, how many of the "Jeep" engineers acutally use a Jeep similar to the way I do?
The law, in California at least, requires two rear-view mirrors. Mine are on the side (as evidenced by the link below).
I hope that this has satisfied "lots" of curiousity. :)
--
Happy Trails ~

http://xobjex.com/dbibbens/albums/happiness.jpg
On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 10:12:31 -0800, Daniel Bibbens

It leaves one question unanswered: Where was that picture taken? <g>
(I also might want to remove my center mirror, or at least remount it higher up. It blocks my view, at intersections, of cars crossing on my right.)

[...snipped...]

The Willow Creek Jeep Trail near Lake Arrowhead, California. Here it is on Google Maps:
http://maps.google.com/?q=Lake+Arrowhead,+CA+92352&ie=UTF8&z &ll4.300869,-117.193823&spn=0.014553,0.026822&om=1
If you're ever in the neighborhood, let me know and I'll show it to you.

I read a tip about that and it worked for me until I got rid of it (for the forementioned reasons). Have you tried rotating the mirror 180 degrees (upside down)? I turned mine clockwise and can't speak to what might happen if you turn it counter-clockwise <g>.
That will raise it up about an inch or so.
On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 22:40:36 -0800, Daniel Bibbens

Think it's suitable for a stock Cherokee?? (A friend remembers going on it YEARS ago in a 4x4 Toyota PU and recalls it had some steep/rocky sections)

(Still need to try this)
Thanks

It's definitely suitable for a stock Cherokee. The section where the picture was taken was a more difficult extension (a stock Cherokee could still do it though). If you bypass the extension, you would have stayed on the main trail -- which is very mild. There is a water crossing late winter through summer -- it's dry after that.
Your friend (EVERYTHING is steep/rocky in a Toyota) might be referring to this extension. There is also a fork near the end that leads to "Devil's Hole" -- that section is short, but rough. It's great place to swim and camp, though. The trail is also a great way to get to more difficult trails to the East in the Big Bear Lake area.
Like I said before, I'd be happy to show it to you. There are other trails in the area, too, ranging from easy to very difficult.
noneofyourbusiness wrote:

Just an FYI for you. Most Jeep center glass mirrors I have seen are on a double ball and socket rod. It has a ball and socket at each end so you can grab it, tilt the rod up and move it to the top edge of the windshield, instead of having the rod tilt down so the mirror is below the sun visors when they are down like the folks at the factory set them.
Mike 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06 http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id !15147590 (More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)

This is what I do with mine. Up and out of the way. It was the first thing I changes from their arrangements. The second thing was the driver side mirror in that I found my head having to turn too much so I discovered the second 'stop' if one twists the arm forward. Now it is just an eye shift to use it. Tomes
And Real drivers use the outside mirrors, only. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com http://www.billhughes.com /
writes:

[...snipped...]
It follows logically; if you want a real Jeep, get a dog big enough to block your windshield rear-view mirror.
writes:

We had a weekend in Coeur D'Alene, Idaho and saw a Jeep with the windshield folded forward and the driver and two golden retrievers were wearing goggles and white scarves, like Snoopy. Not a single tourist could help stopping and taking a pic with the Goldies. The owner was very understanding.
Real Jeeps drive with their windshields down:
http://www.billhughes.com/jeep68sand2.jpg The law just says it just must be equipped with a windshield: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26700.htm It doesn't say anything about be in the up position. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com
writes:

windshield
goggles
stopping

Down, Bill? It looks like your windshield's gone missing <g>.
Here in Ontario Canada, we just need a working wiper... It doesn't mention up or down or even having to have glass...
Mike 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06 http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id !15147590 (More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page)
"L.W. (Bill) Hughes III" wrote:

Daniel Bibbens wrote:

Not a problem. Remember that before you put a new mirror up there to make sure the glass is nice and clean. Some kits give you a prep wipe, but if they don't a small bit of gauze or a cotton ball with acetone (nail polish remover) will work. Just let it dry before you try to set the new mount. (rubbing alcohol works too) Just don't get the acetone on any rubber or paint as it will melt.
Don't put the mirror on immediatly. Use a small block of wood and some ducttape to clamp the button to the glass while the glue sets. (I use an old curtain spring-rod)
--
DougW

DougW wrote:

I prefer a magnet on the outside of the glass.
That said, my CJ7 doesn't have a center mirror, only the two outside ones.