Windshield mirror mount removal?

Have any of you ever purposefully removed the rear view mirror mount from your windshield? I've had them fall off other cars, but I can't seem to get it off of my '04 TJ. I'm thinking a solvent of some sort. Any ideas or advice?

Reply to
Daniel Bibbens

You just let the car sit in the sun till the inside is nice and warm, grab the button with a crecent wrench and twist it off. Guess you could use a hair dryer.

Prying with a flat blade is not a good idea as you can crack the windshield.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Good Answer Malachite man, you will go down in the annals of History as being the #1 Ignoramus on Usenet. HOW ABOUT STAYING OUT OF OUR GROUP, JUST STAY HERE.

:> You mean to pop the epoxy glued base off without possibly breaking the :>windshield? :> God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O :>mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

24Bit

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Good Answer Malachite man, you will go down in the annals of History as being the #1 Ignoramus on Usenet. HOW ABOUT STAYING OUT OF OUR GROUP, JUST STAY HERE.

:> There you go again, the jealous, REALLY JEALOUS, jealous little draft :>dodging senile coward from Hialeah Navarre, Florida, who's only way to get :>attention is to make a fool of it's self. With this goat obsession/fetish :>you have. Like when the other kids laughed at it's attempt to use foul :>language in elementary school play grounds, but just gibberish. Too senile :>to remember what he last wrote. You remind me of a little rat dog, like a :>Mexican Chiwawa with it's senseless barking, me too, me too. And as usually :>afraid to use your name, address, or even sign your statement as any man :>would. :> Again you don't even have the fortitude to sign your lies, what coward! :> You're not worth any more time when a cut and paste this same paragraph :>it fits so well! :> But now worth the time to forward this low life to: snipped-for-privacy@mchsi.com and :>to cox,net to nail 4ax.com (databasix.com) :> God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O :>mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

:>"24Bit®" wrote: :>>

:>

Reply to
24Bit

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

Took this route first and stopped for the reason you mentioned.

Reply to
Daniel Bibbens

Yep, that's the one. In all my dad's cars, they just fell off while he was driving. Are you saying it can't be done? Maybe I'll just remove the windshield altogether.

Reply to
Daniel Bibbens

[...snipped...]

That did the trick. Fast, too. It took longer to explain to my wife why I was taking her beloved hair dryer out to the garage.

I don't know if it helped, but I put "Goo Gone" on the the mount before heating it up with the dryer. A twist with a pair of channel-lock pliers and it came off. The adhesive peeled off, too, and didn't leave any marks on the glass.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Daniel Bibbens

Lots of people want to know why you chose to remove this part. Because once you take it off, you have no where to hang the rear view mirror.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Not a problem. Remember that before you put a new mirror up there to make sure the glass is nice and clean. Some kits give you a prep wipe, but if they don't a small bit of gauze or a cotton ball with acetone (nail polish remover) will work. Just let it dry before you try to set the new mount. (rubbing alcohol works too) Just don't get the acetone on any rubber or paint as it will melt.

Don't put the mirror on immediatly. Use a small block of wood and some ducttape to clamp the button to the glass while the glue sets. (I use an old curtain spring-rod)

Reply to
DougW

I prefer a magnet on the outside of the glass.

That said, my CJ7 doesn't have a center mirror, only the two outside ones.

Mike

Mike Romain

Damn it... Just ignore each other.

Reply to
James Drinkwater

heh....

There are a few reasons.

  • First, even if I used the mirror, all I'd see is my dog's goofy face (see the link below).
  • Second, the mirror and, to a lesser degree, the mirror mount, blocked my dog's view of the terrain ahead (squirrels, lizards, and coyotes need chasin' ya' know). So, to get a better view, he'd lower his head causing him to move forward slightly. When the inevitable bump came, his foot would slide off the center console into my trail-ready Gatorade bottle. On a typical ride, his foot would have trail bits on it which would then be intermingled with what ever I might have been drinking.
  • Third, it was just one more thing that would need to be occasionally dusted and cleaned. I've learned that a squeegee and Windex are fast and effective to clean the windshield. Since I have to clean both sides, (of bugs, trail dust, and dog spit), the mirror mount interfered with a contiguous squeegee pass.

If I didn't have so much fun with my Jeep, I'd swear it was an over-engineered dust-and-doghair-collection-system. I've removed every non-essential part and am working on a custom dashboard. The stock dashboard is the last offending item with all its function-free ledges and curves. I'm not a clean-freak but can live with only so much trail dust and dog hair after the fact. I wonder, how many of the "Jeep" engineers acutally use a Jeep similar to the way I do?

The law, in California at least, requires two rear-view mirrors. Mine are on the side (as evidenced by the link below).

I hope that this has satisfied "lots" of curiousity. :)

Reply to
Daniel Bibbens

It leaves one question unanswered: Where was that picture taken?

(I also might want to remove my center mirror, or at least remount it higher up. It blocks my view, at intersections, of cars crossing on my right.)

noneofyourbusiness

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

We had a weekend in Coeur D'Alene, Idaho and saw a Jeep with the windshield folded forward and the driver and two golden retrievers were wearing goggles and white scarves, like Snoopy. Not a single tourist could help stopping and taking a pic with the Goldies. The owner was very understanding.

Reply to
Billzz

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

The Willow Creek Jeep Trail near Lake Arrowhead, California. Here it is on Google Maps:

If you're ever in the neighborhood, let me know and I'll show it to you.

I read a tip about that and it worked for me until I got rid of it (for the forementioned reasons). Have you tried rotating the mirror 180 degrees (upside down)? I turned mine clockwise and can't speak to what might happen if you turn it counter-clockwise .

That will raise it up about an inch or so.

Reply to
Daniel Bibbens