how to fix dumb rear-view mirror error?

My rear view mirror came off, and I dutifully got a glue kit and followed all the instructions except for one detail -- I put the wrong side of the clip against the glass. I discovered this when I tried to hang the mirror back up. How do I get the clip back off the glass without breaking anything? The glue package does not discuss what to do in this case.

Reply to
jhill

Sometimes you can slip a razor blade inbetween the mount and the glass. esp as the correct side usually has a smaller contact patch. Some of the earlier adhesives could also be removed with nail polish remover

Good luck

Reply to
Full_Name

Wait another 20 years for it to fall off again, then do it correctly next time.

~Roger

Reply to
Roger Maxwell

WS glue is a cyanoacrylate. Try a cyano remover. It may take a few days to work it's way under the metal though. Tape some cotton or something to the area to hold the remover. Keep moist.

Reply to
« Paul »

It's on too tight for a razor blade to go under. I tried to soak it for 2 hours with acitone (hard to do both because of the reverse angle of the glass makes it drip off, and that acitone evaporates very quickly. Any attempt to tape a pad soaked in aciton to it also resulted in quick failure because acitone also softens the adhesive on the tape, so it falls off in a few minutes) An email message suggested gently heating the plate with a soldering iron until the glue softens. Anyone else try this? I'm afraid the heat would crack the glass!

Reply to
jhill

Reply to
Mark

Common mistake, just obtain another clip & glue it onto the one that you've already glued to the windshield but make sure that you don't glue it upside down this time(another common mistake).

Reply to
Colin Mellander

Reply to
jhill