1988 Supra exaust (OEM)

I was hoping someone knows what material the #1 exhaust pipe is made of?

It is the piece that connects to the exhaust manifold to the catalistic converter and has insulation and a tin heat shield wrapping. So I can not really tell if it's steel, cast iron (hopefully) or that aluminized pipe. I would just replace the $400 part but the dealer can not seem to locate one.

Here is the part page if needed. Part #17410 on that page. (1741042401)

Thanks Dan

Reply to
Danny G.

Its just a "simple" 2 into 1 pipe with a heat shield. At a guess I'd say its aluminized steel pipe, with the covers some sort of steel alloy that resists rust. MIGHT be stainless.

In any case, if the part is not available, locate a hotrod fabricator (not your corner exhaust shop) to see about getting something that fits made out of stainless. Try to retain the covers as these can be cleaned and repaired.

SD

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

steel alloy that resists rust. MIGHT be stainless.

your corner exhaust shop) to see about getting

can be cleaned and repaired.

Thanks, it turned out to be mild steel and a stress failure so I could just weld it up. The weld was at the place were the single pipe connects to the 2 pipes gets all the stress from the exhaust swinging around broke but I could not tell until I removed the tin skin and the insulation wrap.

Reply to
Danny G.