1988 Supra factory Wheels, best cleaner

I just bought a 1988 Supra, I am trying to restore. I think the wheels are pewter without a clear coat. I think there are some acid cleaners that would get these puppies to look like they should. They have a dull finish and that is the way they should look but I have built up brake dust on them. I am looking fo a powerful wheel cleaner.

Thx Ken

Reply to
ken.gaspard

I doubt if your wheels are pewter. More likely, they are an aluminum alloy.

There are products available at auto parts stores that are effective in removing brake dust.

Reply to
Ray O

I used a commercial Acid wheel cleaner on mine, and they came out great (the wheels are in good shape to begin with). Of course, I was working at a Toyota dealership in the Detail Shop... These wheel don't seem to get as chewed up and corroded as other Toyota Alloys. At any rate, things I have used: Bleche-White Clorox cleaner Simple Green. The Acid is easy. Spray on, rinse off. Anything else requires elbow grease, and a brush. Wheel brushes suck. I buy a decent toilet bowl brush and push the head together so you have a 'strip' and use it that way. If you *really* want to do it, take the tires off, take it to a parts store, body shop or powder coater and have them sand blasted. Then, have them powder coated or refinished, or, if you're adventerous, do it yourself:

(Well, it took a while, but here it is:)

I did this with my Corolla GTS. I went all the way, got rid of the machining marks, and did ALL the polishing, and the look Chrome. I am going to anodize them (the originals were Gold anodized and were stolen) This is a lot of work, but you'll be well pleased in the end!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Also, put back on the OEM ceramic type pads and you will get rid of the brake dust.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard