Q: Best Stuff for Door/Trunk Seals?

What do y'all use to lubricate, protect, etc., the rubber seals around the doors and trunk? In the past, I used regular Armor All for door seals, but I've run out, and since that is all I used Armor All for, I wanted to know if there's something better out there before getting another bottle.

- Max - ======= "Michael Moore is a dumb [expletive], that's what I think." - Ray Bradbury

Just Say No to 6:5 Blackjack!

Max C. Webster III

I'm not trying to be a snob here... but I would never use Armor All on anything on one of my cars.

All the silicone in it is more drying than beneficial. AND if you ever have to take it in for paint work, the silicone 'overspray' that gets on your car can give the paint department fits.

I would look for something that is non drying, non silicone. Check with the local jobbers and see what they have to offer.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

I was originally going to use a subject line of WWKD, for What Would Kate Do, since you seem to always have the best advice for stuff to use -- every bit of advice you've given I've been happy with.

So, what is it that *you* use on the door and trunk seals?

- Max - ======= "Michael Moore is a dumb [expletive], that's what I think." - Ray Bradbury

Just Say No to 6:5 Blackjack!

Max C. Webster III

Again, I use a PRO product. Have a look at their site, I still have some Do-All left but when it's gone I may try their Vantage.

's kind of an oily stuff that makes everything look good and seems to keepit in good shape.

The only problem that I see is that you have already Armor alled it all. That means it will have build up. You should clean all of the old stuff off and start fresh. Meguiars MAY make something. I generally trust their products. Whatever you choose, at least stop using the Armor All. Clean it all really well with something like SImple Green to get all the old stuff off and then redress it. If it were me, I'd use C49 to clean it up.

You can likely find a dealer near you.

Hope this helped Max :)

Kate

| > All the silicone in it is more drying than beneficial. AND if you ever have | > to take it in for paint work, the silicone 'overspray' that gets on your car | > can give the paint department fits. | >

| > I would look for something that is non drying, non silicone. Check with the | > local jobbers and see what they have to offer. | | I was originally going to use a subject line of WWKD, for What Would Kate Do, | since you seem to always have the best advice for stuff to use -- every bit of | advice you've given I've been happy with. | | So, what is it that *you* use on the door and trunk seals? | | | - Max - | ======= | "Michael Moore is a dumb [expletive], that's what I think." - Ray Bradbury |

| | Just Say No to 6:5 Blackjack! |

SVTKate

Hello Kate, I'm mostly a lurker, but notice that your advice is well received in this group. I have a 2002 stang and have been using Armor All on the interior. Is that bad too? what do you use for your dash and other parts like it?

Jesse

Reply to
Jesse Gutierrez

V'ger jma(NOSPAM)@snowcrest.net

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Vintage Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 oem A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto converted to AODE 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR-16 KDWS tires Built in San Jose, CA on my birthday, May 10th ; ) Restoration by: Cool Mustang Restorations Cool, CA
Reply to
V'ger

Hi Jesse, Well now, thank you for the kind words. You need to keep in mind that I am an old broad with pretty strong opinions. I do NOT like Armor All. I have seen the effects of repeated uses. I have it seen it thick, yellow and cracked. They may have changed their formula. But then AOL keeps changing their software and it's still SOSDD if you get my drift.

You can find the stuff below usually from a local distributor or online but then there is the whole shipping thing. These guys go to body shops and dealerships, the products are not generally in stores.

For my own cars I use PRO and P&S products from my days as a detailer and body shop owner... in that order LOL. On my dash though I use a couple of different things. It often depends on what I have in my hands at the moment.

One of the products that I use on my dash and other trim is Premo by PRO and it's a dressing.

does have a little of the dreaded silicone in it BUT it wears off anddoesn't build up. Works great on your tires too. The other thing that I use more often than not .. you are going to laugh... I use the P&S leather cleaner conditioner. L460. It smells like new leather and seems to work really well on everything. Even though that is not what they intended it for.
After I wash my car I usually wipe the dash and interior panels down with the damp chamois. Then when I do my seats I use a very soft damp sponge. Using whatever is left of the leather condtioner on the sponge just give everything little wipe. Not a LOT of conditioner gets on the dash, but it gets a soft little glow. If it's kind of streaky I just use a spritz of water on a cloth and rub till it evens out and it just smells so pretty!

There are a ton of products out there. I would say just read the labels and give them a try. If you buy something and you don't like it at all, keep your receipt and take it back!

Hope you find something you like :)

Kate

| > The only problem that I see is that you have already Armor alled it all. | > That means it will have build up. | > You should clean all of the old stuff off and start fresh. Meguiars MAY | make | > something. I generally trust their products. Whatever you choose, at least | > stop using the Armor All. Clean it all really well with something like | > SImple Green to get all the old stuff off and then redress it. If it were | > me, I'd use C49 to clean it up. | >

| > You can likely find a dealer near you. | >

| > Hope this helped Max :) | >

| > Kate | >

| |

Reply to
SVTKate

They may have changed their formula. "But then AOL keeps changing their software and it's still SOSDD if you get my drift."

Damn that was a heck of a great piece of wisdom! How intellectually deep and yet so concise! ; ) he said, pressing his forehead to the floor, paying due homage to the High Priestess of Sharp Wit

V'ger jma(NOSPAM)@snowcrest.net

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Vintage Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 oem A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto converted to AODE 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR-16 KDWS tires Built in San Jose, CA on my birthday, May 10th ; ) Restoration by: Cool Mustang Restorations Cool, CA
Reply to
V'ger

Reply to
Jesse Gutierrez

I think while you're in that position I'll slip around behind you and give you a boot on the butt! Kate

| >You can find the stuff below usually from a local distributor or online but | >then there is the whole shipping thing. | >These guys go to body shops and dealerships, the products are not generally | >in stores. | >

| >For my own cars I use PRO and P&S products from my days as a detailer and | >body shop owner... in that order LOL. | >On my dash though I use a couple of different things. It often depends on | >what I have in my hands at the moment. | >

| >One of the products that I use on my dash and other trim is Premo by PRO and | >it's a dressing. | >

| >It does have a little of the dreaded silicone in it BUT it wears off and| >doesn't build up. Works great on your tires too.| >

| >The other thing that I use more often than not .. you are going to laugh... | >I use the P&S leather cleaner conditioner. L460. It smells like new leather | >and seems to work really well on everything. Even though that is not what | >they intended it for. | >

| >After I wash my car I usually wipe the dash and interior panels down with | >the damp chamois. Then when I do my seats I use a very soft damp sponge. | >Using whatever is left of the leather condtioner on the sponge just give | >everything little wipe. Not a LOT of conditioner gets on the dash, but it | >gets a soft little glow. If it's kind of streaky I just use a spritz of | >water on a cloth and rub till it evens out and it just smells so pretty! | >

| >There are a ton of products out there. I would say just read the labels and | >give them a try. If you buy something and you don't like it at all, keep | >your receipt and take it back! | >

| >Hope you find something you like :) | >

| >Kate | >

| | V'ger | jma(NOSPAM)@snowcrest.net | 1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 | Vintage Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior | 289 ci 4v V8 oem A Code | Dual Exhaust | C4 Auto converted to AODE | 8" Trak Lok | Vintage 40 wheels | BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR-16 KDWS tires | Built in San Jose, CA on my birthday, May 10th ; ) | Restoration by: Cool Mustang Restorations Cool, CA

Reply to
SVTKate

My Pleasure Jesse, Do me a favor.. let us know what you find, try and like.

> [...]

| > >Kate | > >

| > V'ger | > jma(NOSPAM)@snowcrest.net | > 1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 | > Vintage Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior | > 289 ci 4v V8 oem A Code | > Dual Exhaust | > C4 Auto converted to AODE | > 8" Trak Lok | > Vintage 40 wheels | > BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR-16 KDWS tires | > Built in San Jose, CA on my birthday, May 10th ; ) | > Restoration by: Cool Mustang Restorations Cool, CA | |

Reply to
SVTKate

V'ger jma(NOSPAM)@snowcrest.net

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Vintage Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 oem A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto converted to AODE 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR-16 KDWS tires Built in San Jose, CA on my birthday, May 10th ; ) Restoration by: Cool Mustang Restorations Cool, CA

Um, if it's the later, can I be next? :-P

Serious question, is there any problem with *not* using any type of dressing/treatment on the vinyl/plastic parts? I use a leather cleaner/conditioner on the seats and steering wheel, but I don't put anything on the dash and doors. I use a little Windex if I need to clean a spot, but I usually just wipe the dash and doors down.

Funny, I use Windex to clean everything . . . except windows. For glass, I use Invisible Glass (as Kate said, "The stuff F-ing ROCKS!").

- Max - ======= "Michael Moore is a dumb [expletive], that's what I think." - Ray Bradbury

Just Say No to 6:5 Blackjack!

Max C. Webster III

Lace up Ropers hon...

whatta think I am.. a Mistress?

Kate

| | V'ger | jma(NOSPAM)@snowcrest.net | 1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 | Vintage Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior | 289 ci 4v V8 oem A Code | Dual Exhaust | C4 Auto converted to AODE | 8" Trak Lok | Vintage 40 wheels | BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR-16 KDWS tires | Built in San Jose, CA on my birthday, May 10th ; ) | Restoration by: Cool Mustang Restorations Cool, CA

Reply to
SVTKate

Max, I just don't know what happens if you leave the rubber alone vs treating it. The new materials they have these days surely should outlive the older stuff that cracked in 5 years. Personally, I think that keeping a protective barrier on your rubber and vinyl will help, particularly if it contains any UV blockers. So, I use it. It also makes everything look nice. I am not into shiney but I do like things to keep that fresh look rather than weathered. It keeps the rubber looking black rather than getting that white film or the streaks that rubber gets as it ages.

On my cowel I use the Premo dressing and I can tell when it needs to be reapplied, it gets kind of grey looking. Not really any different than dull but little dab or two of dressing and it looks rich and black and new again. So, that's what I do!

Ok, you can be next LOL

Kate

| >> I think while you're in that position I'll slip around behind you and give | >> you a boot on the butt! | >

| > They them huntin' boots, or them latex thigh highs to match the cat | > suit and the whips? LOL | | Um, if it's the later, can I be next? :-P | | Serious question, is there any problem with *not* using any type of | dressing/treatment on the vinyl/plastic parts? I use a leather | cleaner/conditioner on the seats and steering wheel, but I don't put anything | on the dash and doors. I use a little Windex if I need to clean a spot, but I | usually just wipe the dash and doors down. | | Funny, I use Windex to clean everything . . . except windows. For glass, I use | Invisible Glass (as Kate said, "The stuff F-ing ROCKS!"). | | | | - Max - | ======= | "Michael Moore is a dumb [expletive], that's what I think." - Ray Bradbury |

| | Just Say No to 6:5 Blackjack! |

SVTKate

Hey Kate, have you tried Mr. Cleans Auto Dry wash system?

I got sucked in by their cool commercial and bought the thing, I was pleasently surprised to see the stuff really works, especially in the hot FLA SUN.

Reply to
Mr. Ford

V'ger jma(NOSPAM)@snowcrest.net

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Vintage Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 oem A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto converted to AODE 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR-16 KDWS tires Built in San Jose, CA on my birthday, May 10th ; ) Restoration by: Cool Mustang Restorations Cool, CA
Reply to
V'ger

Hell Yea!

| >whatta think I am.. a Mistress? | >

| >Kate | >

| | V'ger | jma(NOSPAM)@snowcrest.net | 1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 | Vintage Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior | 289 ci 4v V8 oem A Code | Dual Exhaust | C4 Auto converted to AODE | 8" Trak Lok | Vintage 40 wheels | BF Goodrich gForce T/A 225/50ZR-16 KDWS tires | Built in San Jose, CA on my birthday, May 10th ; ) | Restoration by: Cool Mustang Restorations Cool, CA

Reply to
SVTKate

I have been looking at that. I seriously considered it. If nothing else for the truck. I thought that if it didnt work on the cars, I could always use it for the windows on the house LOL

Now that you give it a recommendation, I may just have to break down and give it a shot. Thanks :¬D Kate

| | Hey Kate, have you tried Mr. Cleans Auto Dry wash system? | | I got sucked in by their cool commercial and bought the thing, I was | pleasently surprised to see the stuff really works, especially in the hot | FLA SUN. | |

Reply to
SVTKate

Saw a review of it on the local news. They said it worked very well, but it's expensive to keep up. Refills aren't cheap.

"SVTKate" wrote in news:dHxVc.5127$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Reply to
Joe