cleaner

Any recommendations on a good chrome cleaner? I've got 33 yrs. of oxidization. I'm trying to clean the exterior door chrome molding. I've tried rubbing compound, goof off, "never dull" (which worked fantastically on the interior chrome) and a couple off the shelf 3m chrome cleaners. All cleaned the chrome, but it still has a haze down the middle. I'm pretty sure the chrome is good, but just filthey.

Reply to
wf81

Sounds like you are using some pretty harsh stuff there. Be careful not to damage things in your enthusiasm

Post a pic of what you're trying to clean.

Kate

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Try coke--- it cleans chrome very well

Reply to
J. Sprauer

Mothers metal polish.

Reply to
.boB

Ok, FIRST before anyone yells at the poor guy I take the blame for the photos! I should have been more exact in my request - ok.? ok! I should have said post a LINK to some pics but these are cool

Are you SURE these are not anodized aluminum? They look like it in the photos, except the rust spots, that could be from contact with something.

If it's steel, try some 0000 steel wool. Never, EVER a scotch brite, but on CHROME steel wool will not scratch. Coca-Cola (the real thing) works too for things that have an alkaline deposit. Try the steel wool in a place that won't show to see if it is safe. Test it with a magnet to see if it IS steel. If it's aluminum, that would explain why you are having so much trouble. It is a real pain to make pretty. I'm not sure you can because if the finish is rubbed off, then the aluminum gets a different look and it will turn dull like rims if neglected.

Well... give her a go and post the results... SOMEONE here will know what to do to help you, or where to go for an answer. Spike may have an answer he has recently been through a lot of this.

Oh, and next time, please post a link, not the photos. We aren't allowed to post html in the group. My fault, I should have warned you... sorry!

Kate

: > Post a pic of what you're trying to clean. : >

: > Kate : >

: >

: : :

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Reply to
wf81

I'll second that!!!! Soak a rag in Coke (the drink, not the powder) and lay it on the area you want to clean and let it set. If you want to test it first... take a rusty nail or whatever, put some coke on a bowl, and drop it in, then let it set. Drop a chunk of meat in and the meat will dissolve... (imagine what it does to your insides...that's why I drink Pepsi LOL).

Reply to
Spike

Or, I guess you really could use the powder, and just lick it until the rust is gone. : 0 )

Reply to
Spike

Reply to
wf81

What's that saying? Ya get whatcha pay for? LOL And anyone who would do that can't be all there, so it's not like they would really think about cost per lick. : 0 )

Reply to
Spike

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop ??

One..... TaWHOoooooo Crunch!!

Hmmm... musta been weed, not coke. These munchies are really bad!

Reply to
KJ.Kate

LOL!!!! OUCH!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!

Reply to