1990 Celica GT-S

I just bought a 1990 Celica GT-S. It has a five speed and driving home I saw it was running around 3000 RPM between 65-70 mph. This is a much higher RPM than I have seen in other Toyotas I have owned. The speedometer was dead on accurate on its speed. Should I consider this normal for this car?

thanks

Jack

Reply to
Jack

300 RPM seems like the high side of the normal range. How did you verify that the speedometer was dead on accurate at 65 MPH? I assume you were if 5th gear? Are the transmission and differential original or replacements?
Reply to
Ray O

And, what's on the car for tires?

Reply to
Hachiroku

That would be lower RPM than my Supra if I remember correctly. But if your gas mileage and performance are good then I would think all is well either way.

Dan

Reply to
Danny G.

I cannot say for sure if the transaxle has been replaced. I believe the engine was replaced.

I was running 56 seconds a mile thru a speed test section while running 65 mph. If my math is correct, then the speed is correct. I was running in 5th gear.

If they replaced the transaxle and changed the gearing then the speedometer gear was recalibrated.

Jack

Reply to
Jack

205/50-15
Reply to
Jack

Hmmm...that's the correct size....

I thought maybe they were replaced with a different sized tire the would throw the speedo off, but that is the proper size...

Reply to
Hachiroku

My dad has a 86 ST162 that runs at 3500rpm on the highway, this is normal for the cars with the GE motor. he has changed the motor and transaxle to a mid 90's JDM spec but before that it ran at about

3000rpm. if it's running well you should get close to 30mpg cruising on the highway with that RPM.
Reply to
Nick Bourne

3000rpm is normal if you have a 3S-GE motor, it can be as high as 3500rpm if it has a JDM spec drivetrain. I think even the 5S-FE motor sits up close to that on the highway. They usually have a 4.1:1 diff and a 0.86:1 5th gear so the revs really sit up there.
Reply to
Nick Bourne

While I think about it. The Celica normally have a 4.1:1 diff and a

0.86:1 5th gear. for a 205/50-15 tyre the outside circumference is 72.5 in which is ~874 revs/mile and you do about a mile per minute on the highway. so 874 x 4.1 x 0.86 = 3081RPM. so the 3000rpm indicated is fine.
Reply to
Nick Bourne

Thanks to all for the info.

One more question. I believe they have replaced the engine. Where on the engine would I find the engine code?

thanks

Jack

Reply to
Jack

HOLY CRAP! Talk about "Do the math"!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Thanks to all for the info.

One more question. I believe they have replaced the engine. Where on the engine would I find the engine code?

thanks

Jack

******* Look at the valve cover to see if anything is embossed, otherwise, it will be cast in the block somewhere on the side.
Reply to
Ray O

Yeah I was having a rain man moment

Reply to
Nick Bourne

being a 1990 gts you will mostly likely have 2200 in the intake manifold. the engine serial number of remember correctly is under top radiator hose outlet on the back of the motor.

Reply to
Nick Bourne

How much is a candy bar? ;)

Reply to