A more in-depth article into Shell's "Tactics"

No wonder the fuel companies are posting record profits!!

Shell, of course, says nothing could be further from the truth. "I can only speak for Shell, but the majority of our sites are independently owned,'' says company spokeswoman Karyn Leonardi-Cattolica. In fact, she says, the number of independents is increasing.

Maybe so, but anyone entering the business had better be prepared. Oyster says his rent has gone up exponentially. Fifteen years ago it was $1,000 a month. Then it went to $6,000, then $8,000, and five years ago the company wanted $13,000. Oyster says he was able to appeal that amount, based on real estate values, and "we got it down to $6,000,'' but this year Shell came back with a demand of $13,000 again.

Reply to
Hachiroku