1992 Toyota Celica GT (drops in power when accelerating)

Okay here?s the deal. My water pump went out and started pouring antifreeze out of this thing. So I was about to drive it to the service center to get it repaired and it died in my driveway. Timing belt screwed up? I don?t know, but it didn?t start after that, well I towed it to them, they fixed it and it shows they replaced the timing belt and the water pump.

Well the real problem now is it isn?t running as well as it did, it seems to idle fine, but when I give it some gas while in gear, it sorta drops in power for a second like it?s getting flooded with gas then picks up shortly after. It consistantly does this and I?m pretty sure it wasn?t doing that before they fixed it. What did they most likely mess up, and what do I need to do to fix it?

Reply to
silverbow2

If the problem actually was not there before the shop changed the water pump and timing belt, it is possible that one or both camshaft timing is off by a tooth. Check ignition base timing. If it is off, then the likelihood that the camshaft is off by a tooth is higher.

Other possibilities are a vacuum leak, leak in the black plastic intake snorkel between the air filter housing and throttle body, dirty MAF sensor (if this car has a MAF type sensor and not the air flow meter).

Reply to
Ray O