in need of ways to make my 89 toyota pickup faster please:)

i know a good handfull about vehicles and whatnot but ive never had a toyota before and would like to know if any 1 has or if any 1 knows of good effective ways of putting some horses under the hood ?? its a 89 toyota pickup 4 cylinder 5 speed carburated. please help me out asap guys ! i am having lots of trouble finding anything for this truck so ive come to ask ppl with experience

Reply to
bagged89yota

Try searching "22 RE engine performance."

Reply to
Ray O

First, throw away the 22R and replace it with a 22RE/injected. This gets you about 15 more horses right off the bat. Add a K&N and a 2" exhaust for about 10-15 more ponies. I think there are cams for this engine, I don't know. I had a Celica with the 22RE and it was plenty fast for me!

And don't confuse HP with gearing. The Tacoma can't get out of it's own way; I replaced an ailing 22RE in my Celica with a newer 22RE from a '91 PU and had no problem. The '91 was rated at 165 HP, but because I was using the ECU from 1985 I probably only gained 5-7 from the swap.

My friend has a '98 Tacoma with the 2.7L DOHC, and it didn't have the pickup my Celica did. Look into doing something like changing the final drive if you want to wind the engine out more.

Reply to
Hachiroku

ive looked all i can find is a few small companies make a header and a catback exhaust for it and a cold air intake but thats all i can find.

Reply to
bagged89yota

There is not much of a market for performance parts for 18 year old cars so aftermarket performance parts makers are not going to offer much.

If you want to spend lots of money on modifications, you will have to get a newer car.

Reply to
Ray O

Or stuff a 7M-GE into it. Even a 5M-GE would work.

Reply to
Hachiroku

im not looken to spend tons of money on this like i did all the body work and suspension work myself, its not gunna be a show truck i jus want a nice fast lil truck. what might i find a 7M-GE or the 5M-GE in?

Reply to
bagged89yota