1992 Toyota Corolla tail light problem

I have a 1992 Toyota Corolla sedan. The left side brake light box contains two 1157 bulbs for brake and tail lights. One of them seems to work fine but I noticed this morning when my wife went forward out of the driveway and the brakelights came on, the inside bulb either went dim or out (I couldn't get a good look but I think it went out). I believe when the brakelights are not on, this bulb works fine. Days ago I replaced this light with a new 1157 bulb because the tail light was dim and I thought I checked the brake lights then and all was well till this morning with the same bulb. The other side of the car, the lights work fine.

One answer I got for this but I'd like someone else to tell me if this is reasonable is that this is caused by a bad circuit ground and to check the ground side of the circuit for the light socket tho I'm not sure what I'm looking for (color or distinctions)? Inotherwords if this is correct, how do I do this? Can I just sand the inside of the light socket? Or what do you think is the problem/solution? thanks.

Reply to
observer

It may be corroded socket contacts.

You can use a fine sand paper but you can also clean the socket out with a wire brush. There are some made for this application or a plumbing pipe cleaning brush, or battery brush of the appropriate size will work.

Next, using compressed air, blow out the socket to remove any loose corrosion and wire brush filaments remaining that could short out the socket.

Spray contact cleaner in the socket to remove any contaminants. Blow it out again.

Before you install the bulb, closely visually inspect it for any frayed wire connections and then apply to the inside of the socket some dielectric silicone paste. That should prevent any further corrosion.

Reply to
user

Actually the fix was easy and I guess it was a ground problem. Basically all I had to do was tighten a screw beside the light bulb socket. The screw helps make a wire make contact with the light bulb socket.

Reply to
observer

quoted text -

No, no, no, don't use silicone grease. The best stuff to use is DeoxIT. It actually improves electrical connections and protects. Now their is no need for grease on connections. Grease can harden after awhile and silicone can actually degrade plastics. Go to

I've been using it for years and most auto mfg's and service organizations use it now. Mike

Reply to
shaq