1998 4 Runner repairs -- help

I need to replace the rear bumper corner section (driver side) on my 98

4 runner before selling it. Does anyone have any hints for me on things to look out for. I don't want to trigger the air bag. Is that possible. How difficult is this? Does anyone have a good site for used Toyota 4 runner parts? I also need to straighten or replace the bumper bracket on the passenger side - it is bent slightly down. How about that job? Any hints. I wish there were better drivers that didn't keep hitting me!! Thanks.
Reply to
ricwawee

There is no rear air bag so you do not have to worry about deploying the air bag when repairing the rear bumper, unless the vehicle is moving while attempting the repair :-)

If you are looking for used parts, you might want to try a local wrecking yard. You should also price the part from the dealership to see if it is worth the hassle of looking for a used one.

A bent bumper bracket is not easy to straighten. If it is bent down, you could try jacking the rear up with the jack under the bent part of the bracket. You might need a 4 x 4 so that the jack will reach the bumper bracket. Raise the jack very slowly so that you don't go too far or bent the opposite side bracket. Do not get under the vehicle while you are doing this! If you need to take a look, lower the jack before getting under the vehicle. If that doesn't work, replace the bent bracket.

If you're in the vehicle the next time you're hit from behind, get the other party's information so that you can have the repairs done professionally with new parts!

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks Ray O. Hard to get the other party's info. when they 1.) hit you in the parking lot and run or 2.) have no insurance and are illegals.

Reply to
ricwawee

You're welcome! I figured that was the case but you never know, so I thought I'd pass the advice on.

Reply to
Ray O