1998 Corolla ,The airbags are not functioning. Neither is the drivers side lock

Hello, I intend to buy a 1998 Corolla. mileage: 100k. The problem is The airbags are not functioning. Neither is the drivers side lock. I ran Carfax's history of the car, and it has a clean title.

I don't have experience about automechanics. Can you please tell me if these are serious problems? +Can you guess if that car has some accidents but they are not recorded in Carfax?

+Can you estimate how much I should pay to replace airbags and repair drivers side lock?

Thanks

Reply to
VijaKhara

The door lock may not be a big deal - worn out actuator, loose control rod

- the door panel needs to come off to see what the problem is. As far as the airbags - how did you determine that both need to be replaced?

Reply to
qslim

Whether a non-functioning driver's side lock and airbags are serious or not depends on your definition of serious.

The car will run without a driver's side door lock and without air bags but obviously, the passengers do not gain the benefit and security that these items offer.

It is impossible to guess if the car has been in an accident that has not been recorded in Carfax without looking at the car. It is very possible that body repairs have been performed without being reported to Carfax. Most body repairs are pretty obvious to a trained eye so the best way to find out is to have a knowledgeable person look at the car.

The cost to replace the air bags and repair the driver's door lock can be anywhere from $200 to $5,000, depending on what is wrong. Unless you are very knowledgeable about diagnosing and repair an air bag system, I would not recommend purchasing a vehicle with a problem in the air bag system. I also would not ask the seller to repair it before selling it to you because he could merely unplug the supplemental restraint system warning light and you would never know that you do not have an air bag until after a severe accident.

Pass on this car and look at another one.

Reply to
Ray O

thank you very much.

Reply to