1998 Corolla VE Oil Leak

I have a 1998 Corolla VE with 214K Kms and a minor oil seepage on the timing chain cover. The dealer wants to charge me Can$500 to repair this condition. Is this a fair cost, are there any other items which should be looked at during this proceedure, and what are the consequences if I do nothing? Thanks for any help.

JohnG

Reply to
JohnG

If the engine runs low on oil, serious engine damage can result. A minor seepage is probably not a big problem, but depending on where it is coming from the leak can get worse. If the seepage is just a valve cover gasket, you can probably replace it yourself fairly easily. If the seepage is from one of the camshaft seals, the job is a little more involved.

I would just watch the oil level to make sure it does not drop significantly.

Reply to
Ray O

Hmmm...does the '98 have a Timing Chain?

On the 22R engine, one of the problems was the chain tensioner 'pumping up' with oil, since it was hydraulic. As the eninge aged and it took longer to build up oil pressure, the chain would rub against the block and wear a hole in it.

If this is the case, the OP wants to get it fixed...soon.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Good point, I believe that the '98 has a timing chain. If there is noise associated with the leak, then yes, it needs to be fixed ASAP.

Reply to
Ray O