1999 Lexus ES300 oddities

Hello,

I just sold my 1997 Camry V6 (180K miles), and bought a

1999 Lexus ES300 (74k miles). They are supposed to be very much the same car.

I'm finding some odd things, and wanted to ask other owners' opinions.

1) The shocks seem really soft and worn out. Is this normal? Do you think I need to replace them with so few miles on them? On the Camry, I never did change the shocks, and they seemed fine.

2) When I stop and get out of the car, I feel a LOT of heat coming from the engine compartment. A literal wave of heat. I've never felt this much heat before, even from old American cars with big 6 and 8 cylinder engines. Is this normal? Do you also feel this?

3) I keep hearing rattles. They seem to come from in front of the passenger seat. Any ideas?

4) What is your typical gas mileage, in the city, and on the highway? This ES300 seems to be sucking the gas big time. Although I've yet to do much driving. (With my V6 Camry, when driving cross country, I used to get about 400 miles to a

15 gallon tank of gas. About 26.6 MPG. )

Any other experiences that you have noticed about

1999 ES300s that you think I should know about?

Thanks a lot!

Reply to
todolist22

just wanted to let you know the front struts are different, but the rears are the same.

Is the car bouncing more than once when you give it the bounce test?

Reply to
m6onz5a

Like your Camry, the 1999 ES 300 has front and rear strut suspension and uses struts instead of shock absorbers. It does not have an air suspension as someone else has suggested.

I belive that the ES suspension is set up so that it has a softer ride than the Camry. Check the struts to see if there is any fluid leaking, and do the bounce test on the front and rear bumpers. After you give it a good bounce, it should stop moving after 1 or 2 bounces. If the car keeps moving or if there is fluid leaking downn the outside of the struts, they need replacement.

Also check to make sure that the tires are properly inflated. You will get longer tire life if you inflate them about 5 PSI over the inflation figures listed on the door jamb or glove box door.

With the car idling, take a look at the exhaust manifold and catalytic converter, preferably in the dark. If they are glowing cherry red, you have an exhaust leak or a restriction in the exhaust system. If you see any exhaust part glowing, have the car looked at ASAP because of the risk of fire.

Also take a look at the engine coolant temperature gauge to see if it is in the normal operating range.

My LS has a drawer under each of the front seats. If your ES has a small drawer, make sure nothing is rattling in them. Check the seat assembly to see if there is any play in the seat track. Look under the front seat to make sure nothing is loose under there.

Rather than trying to estimate fuel consumption by how far you go on a tank of gas, start keeping track of miles per gallon. Also check the condition of the automatic transmission fluid - it should be translucent red in color. If it is black and smells burnt, the transmission may be slipping. A restriction in the exhaust system can also reduce fuel economy.

Check the stuff I mentioned and let us know what you find.

Reply to
invalid unparseable