2 Problems: '86 Camry, '88 Supra

OK, guys, test your wits with my 'vintage' Toys!

  1. '86 Camry: Mom says the sterring wheel 'shakes' in her hands. What it REALLY is is a loss of power due to ????

Did a complete tune-up on the car a month ago, solved the problem until it got wet. Now i MAY have a loose boot on a plug; I don't think so. They were TOUGH to push on. Used ALL genuine Toyota, right down to the plugs!!! Also did cap and rotor at the same time. Only variable left is the fuel filter; I have one but it looks like a PITA. I'll give it a shot tomorrow...

  1. '88 Supra. Know how the 'kids' like to lean way back in the seat so they're almost laying down? I don't. The seat is a 'memory' seat; you twinst a knob on the side of the seat to set the seat back, and when you lift the handle to move the seatback forward for access to the rear seat, it goes right back to where you set it.

Well, every third time I drive the car, I'm laying back again! My initial thought is to remove the knob and see if there's something to tiughten up in there, before I do I'd like to know if this is the way to tackle the problem...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Did you experience the condition? Did you check the ATF? Is the PS belt tight?

The lever to flip the seat back forward might not be engaging the pawl. Make sure the lever is not hanging up when you release it. If the lever itself is not hanging up, then the unzip the seat cover and see if you can see it. I'd suspect that mechanism before the adjusting knob.

Reply to
Ray O

Well....about TIME you showed up somewhere!

It did it to me before the tune-up, once. It's a definite power loss, like when cars used to 'carbon up' when a tune up was required. You know, you step on the gas and it stumbles and stutters. It did it once to me, did the tune up, and then was driving the car in a hard rain and it did it again. She says it did it again, but I couldn't duplicate it. I could feel a VERY slight stutter, but no loss of power.

No, it slips by degrees. I turn the knob and the seat back moves forward, and then I don't notice it again until the 3rd or 4th time I get in tha car after that. At that point I'm leaning way back again, but before that it's not noticable!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Since this is the 21st century, I figured the house in Maine where we were staying would have high speed internet - wrong, it's not in their neighborhood yet. I couldn't use a dialup since I don't have a dialup account, the wi-fi advertised at the Portland airport was not a freebie, and you have to have T-Mobile to use it at a Starbucks. We spent a night in a hotel in Chelmsford, MA, the internet access they were touting in the lobby is through the TV and was something like $19 for 24 hours. The only problem with using the free wi-fi at Panera Bread is if you drink 3 or 4 cups of coffee while you're sitting there and have to suffer the usual side effects.

If it happens again in the rain, take a look at the inside of the distributor cap and see if there is moisture there. Do the usual, check for vacuum leaks and intake hose leaks.

Use a piece of tape to mark the knob's position, for instance, pointing up or parrallel to the seatback. You should be able to tell if the knob is turning - maybe you can put additional tension on the knob so it doesn't turn by itself. If the knob isn't turning, then you gotta look at the adjusting mechanism, which I've never taken a look at.

Reply to
Ray O

Damn, man!! You were in Chelmsford and you didn't tell me?!?!

I would have met you somewhere for a beer, or a Sake, or a Crown Royal!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Well, we weren't even in Chelmsford for 24 hours. Arrived around 6PM Friday, went to a wedding rehearsal dinner, went back to the hotel, woke up Saturday, went to the wedding and reception, and booked it back to Maine.

Next time, I'll have to try to schedule a hook-up time. :-)

Reply to
Ray O

Oh, I see. A 'business trip'.

My guess is that, neither day did you NEED a beer! (I know how *I* am at weddings!)

Reply to
Hachiroku

I behaved - 1 beer Friday evening and 1 vodka tonic at the wedding, followed by 3 cups of very good coffee. The coffee was a mistake though. Got stuck in traffic for 20 minutes on Storrow Dr. in Boston because a truck got stuck under a low underpass.

Reply to
Ray O

You think -that- was bad Ray?...just you wait till you're -my- age and have that happen!...jeez...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

The joke in the office where I used to work is that Ray knew every coffee shop, Dunkin' Donuts, and rest stop in New England. As we were driving around southern Maine where my wife grew up, she was amazed that I knew more places to get rid of coffee than she did!

Reply to
Ray O

The joke in the office where I used to work is that Ray knew every coffee shop, Dunkin' Donuts, and rest stop in New England. As we were driving around southern Maine where my wife grew up, she was amazed that I knew more places to get rid of coffee than she did!

I have learned a pretty good trick as a Scout leader: When driving an SUV-load full of kids on a campout, have a cooler within their reach full of Mountain Dew and tell them to help themselves to the soda. You can count on at least 1 kid guzzling 2 or 3 cans or bottles and asking to stop for a bathroom break before I do so the kids blame him for the stop instead of me :-)

Reply to
Ray O

"Ray O" wrote: snip

Another good one...I love these things where there's an ulterior motive and the perpetrator (always an older wiser type) comes out 'smelling like a rose' (and with a small smile on his face...) :)

Reply to
Gord Beaman

I'll match you on that in Western Mass, Northern CT and soutern VT!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Over the course of 10 years, I visited every dealer in MA, RI, NH, VT, and ME except for 2 or 3. Of course, some new ones have opened in the 13 years since we moved to Chicago. CT is covered from the NY regional office so other than a trip to Lime Rock to see the GTP race, a couple of meetings in Hartford, and several runs down I-95 to visit friends in NJ, I didn't spend much time there. I used to drive about 1,000 miles a week, that's a lot of coffee and stops!

Route 2 from Leominster to Greenflield and from Greenfield to N. Adams didn't have much in the way of places to stop but at least the trees were plentiful!

Reply to
Ray O

Yup! And you were safe until the leaves fell off!

However, now (and people don't believe me when I tell them this, but it is TRUE!) if a cop comes up while you are, um, 'expressing' the coffe on the side of the road, and decides you weren't far enough away from the road, or just doesn't feel like being a Nice Guy, he can write you up for Indecent Exposure in a Public Area...

And you have to register as a Sex Offender!!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

That's why you keep the empty coffee cup!

Reply to
Ray O

Dude, I *NEVER* have an empty coffee cup!

Reply to
Hachiroku