2001 Prizm driver side door

Whenever we have a sudden freeze the latches on the door freeze up. I can open the door from the outside but then when I try to open it from the inside the handle sticks and stays out. Then the door won't stay shut until the heater has warmed the car. I have asked the dealer to lube the latches and they claim they have (twice). This has not fixed the problem. What to do?

---MIKE---

>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire >> (44=B0 15' N - Elevation 1580')
Reply to
---MIKE---

---MIKE---

The most thorough approach is to remove the inner door panel and lube the metal-to-plastic linkages with silicone spray, then spray the door latch itself with brake cleaner or carb cleaner, being careful not to get any on any plastic parts and wipe out the old grease. After the latch is pretty clean, spray with WD-40 to get any moisture out of the latch and then spray with a light lubricant like bicycle chain oil.

Reply to
Ray O

In addition to all that Ray mentioned, check the window seal on the door that fits against the glass on the outside. Check for any rips or cuts that would allow moisture to drain down inside the door.

Check the drain holes on the bottom of the door to make sure that they are clear. You might be trapping some water that might be condensating on the moving parts and freezing them.

If the silicone spray does not seem to work for long, try a silicone grease.

Reply to
user