Is it the Starter?

My 98 RAV4, 4 wheel drive 4 door, has trouble starting. It is not the battery. [Fully charged, 2 years old, with car off the headlights stay on full for a long long time]

First it just clicks when you turn the key. Sometimes it starts to crank very very slow, and sometimes, during this slow crank, it starts. Usually starts up again but is slow cranking.

Is it a bad wire connector powering the starter or the starter itself? I guess it could be either.

How hard is it to change out this starter?

Thanks and have a good new year.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

Richard, Try starting with the headlights on and have someone watch the headlights. If they go off then the battery is bad or discharged. If they stay on but the starter still clicks then there is likely a poor connection somewhere to the starter.

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---

Might still be the battery...try getting a boost from a good battery...try cleaning all the heavy wire connections, both at the battery posts, the ground point for the negative lead and the positive lead connection to the starter (or to the starter solenoid).

If none of these help then it must be that the armature is dragging (I've only ever seen one case like this - mind you I've never worked in car repair (many years in aircraft repair though)

Most starters aren't difficult to change, usually two nuts or studs, couple of electrical connections.

Good luck.

Reply to
Gord Beaman

DO NOT assume it's not the battery. Do NOT rely on places like CarQuest or Autozone to TEST your battery. Even if the headlights work, it could still be the battery.

Take your car to a reputable repair shop, better yet, one that specifically works with automotive electrical systems and have them test your car. They can tell you if it's the battery or the starter or something else. (like oil too thick for the weather)

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

DO NOT assume it's not the battery. Do NOT rely on places like

Yep, it was the battery. I charged it up and then ran it for a while. Voltage was 10.8. Voltage at starter was also 10.8. I went to NAPA and put in their best group 35 battery and it now starts like a champ. Must have been a bad cell. Thanks.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard