2002 Corolla -- Valve adjustment

What's the going rate usually for a valve adjustment? I've got

160,000 miles and the car runs like a champ. Very religious on maintenance. I've heard I could/should maybe do a valve adjustment.

That being said, what exactly is it? What's involved? What do you think the charge might be if I go to a dealer which I plan on doing?

Reply to
mrsteveo

My wild guess is somewhere in the neighborhood of $250 to $300. The factory maintenance schedule calls for checking valve lash every 60k miles. "Checking" means measuring valve lash and adjusting if necessary. The setup in your car is very durable, especially if you have not neglected oil changed. Checking valve adjustment may be part of the 60,000 mile service if you have it done at a dealership - check your receipts for 60 and 120k and see if it was included. If it was checked, then you don't need to have them re-checked until 180k miles.

Personally, if the engine runs right and you don't hear valvetrain clatter, I wouldn't bother, but if you want to have them checked, check valve adjustment, as opposed to asking them to adjust the valves, which is probably not necessary.

Reply to
Ray O

"Ray O" wrote in news:hZOdncri4bmmyTzbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

A CHECK is relatively cheap for a 4-banger, somewhat less cheap for a V6. An ADJUSTMENT is where the cash register starts going ka-ching.

The Toyota valve setup (pure genius if you ask me) holds true for at least

100,000 miles, and surely a lot more than that if you adhere to the maintenance schedule.

"mrsteveo" should certainly get a CHECK done at his mileage, which should run no more than $100 for an I4 and $200 for a V6. These would be dealer prices, and exclusive of new gaskets.

A CHECK is very easily done by any driveway grease monkey worth his salt, and will cost nothing at all except his time. It is a very good idea to replace all the various sealing gaskets, though. This may cause a slight amount of cash register dinging...

Reply to
Tegger