2006 Corolla S or LE?

I have to make a decision regarding a new car purchase. Have narrowed my choices to the 2006 Corolla S and LE.

The LE has more of an upscale interior and seems to ride more like a luxury car. It also has side airbags that are a plus. The only negative is the exterior has a bland look.

The S with automatic is more sporty and has a harder suspension but handles like a sports sedan. No side air bags but the exterior looks superb with the body skirts and spoiler.

My question is, should I sacrifice side safety for a more sporty car? In addition, is the 38/30 mpg listed feasible or is it overstated?

Reply to
Chester Wozniak

Personally, I would choose the S for the sportier handling and appearance. But if you have a few extra thousand bucks to spend, you could get the even sportier XRS with its high-powered engine (same as in the Matrix XRS) and 6-speed manual tranny. I would assume that it has those extra safety features found in the LE.

The gas mileage figures are realistic. My folks recently got 40mpg on a trip they took with their '04 Corolla CE (automatic). The figures should be similar for the S and LE as well, although the XRS will probably get somewhat worse mileage.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

That's what I was going to suggest. But they are few and far between and I don't think they're making them after 2005, and the ones that were around went fast. It's going to be hard finding one.

Reply to
Hachiroku

I'd take the S, but I like the rear deck spoiler and the tire package more than I like life itself. I try to put my car in places where it won't get hit -- I've been pretty successful at it for well over 30 years. I'd probably get the 5-spd too, but I actually like to shift while most folks my age don't like shifting. Personally, my opinion, as humble as it is, is that a 4 banger motor and an automatic trans are not usually very good compliments of each other. If you insist on the automatic, I think you'd be happier with the 6 cyl motor.

Yes, the mileage figures are pretty reasonable. If you drive like Mario Andretti, you might not be happy, but I'm confident that if I was driving the car, my overall mileage for the kind of commuting that I do would dial in at the high end of 35 mpg.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I suspect that "somewhat" is a bit of an overstatement. How much of an overstatment is pegged pretty closely to the statement one makes with the pedals ... (understanding that having pedals that can make the statement are often speaking up, but they don't have to)

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Jeff - What country are you in that you can get a Corolla with a 6 cyl engine? Ain't an option and would take big $ to retrofit. You must hav the Corolla confused with the Camry - a bigger heavier car that even with the 4 cyl and automatic still performs well. No problems at all with the Corolla and the automatic.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Reply to
ma_twain

It is your money, so the final decision is up to you. However, keep in mind

airbags alone do not make a car safe. The better handling of the S might help you avoid an accident, so you would not need the side air bags. This is assuming you are better than the average driver. It also sounds like the appearance of the car is very important - so go for the S. Just remember, the alloy wheels, skirts, and spoilers do improve handling, but at speeds that would soon cost you your drivers license. At reasonable, safe speeds they are for appearance only. The S suspension will be the most useful part of the package.

Reply to
ma_twain

Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest that the Corolla could be had with a 6 cyl motor.

I'm not confusing anything with anything. I'm suggesting that I would not buy a 4 cyl automatic, I'd get a different car that came in a 6 cyl configuration if I was dead set on getting the automatic trans. I've driven many 4 cyl with automatic transmission cars, and none of them were very much fun. Having said that, I freely admit that the Camry was the most pleasant when set up this way.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
ma_twain