2004 4 cyl Camry SE vs. LE for $21K ?

I am planning to buy a 2004 Camry in North Texas.

I want the basic model with 4w disc brakes, ABS, and side/curtain airbags. I'd also like 16" Steel wheels with All Season tires. Cost is my issue...

My best quote from the dealers is ~ $21K for the SE or the LE, but I'm not sure that I'm getting a straight answer on details:

  1. In Texas, I will have to special order ... I accept that. Is the 0 "special order" cost non-negotiable? Can I specify Made in Japan? Can I request made on Tuesday/Wednesday?

  1. I read that Performance tires don't wear like All Season tires. Can I get All Season on the SE ? or .... Can I get 16" wheels on the LE ?

  2. I'd prefer to get the LE with 16" wheels and 4w ABS, rather than the extra cost for the SE. The LE has an option for ABS, but I can't find any info about if this is just 2 wheel or 4 wheel. If I get 4 wheel disc brakes with ABS, that means that I will get an upgrade on the LE, for the same price as ABS alone on the SE. I'd appreciate any info or clarification ?

  1. The handling and looks of the SE are not important to me, but the cost, safety, and reliability are very important because I intend to keep the car for 15 or more years. I've kept my 1989 4 cyl DXL running well with minimal cost, but I'm not sure if the 2004 LE/SE was made with the same attention to detail and quality.

I've gone to the Toyota Camry, Edmunds, and carsdirect Web sites.

I'd appreciate any other comments and opinions?

Thanx in advance.

- Hank Simon

Reply to
Hank Simon

You're looking at the V6 right? (since it appears from the sales bochure that side air bags are only available as part of a VSC/Side Airbag pkg with a V6). The 4 cyl LE comes with rear drums (on the SE 4 cyl it is disc) . It appears the LE is not available with 16" tires - it has 215/65x15 all season. The SE and Limited Edition (not to be confused with the LE model) have 16" but they are performance 215/60x16 tires. I have an 03 SE 4cyl which came with Micheline tire which seem to be wearing very well (or is it very little). I would not pay an extra $750 to special order a car --- that for the dealer is sold when it arrives and doesn't have to sit on the lot.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Thanks for the opinions. (I forgot to say that I did want automatic)

I don't want the 6 cyl, because the 4 cyl has 157 hp and 30 MPG: Adequate! It's true the side/curtain don't come on the 4 cyl, but they can be ordered. I don't want 2 wheel disc (and drums?) with ABS on the LE, so I want the SE.

I like the info about the performance Michelins vs. All Season. Moonroof IS mandatory, altho not desired!

The Texas distributor has strange costs: Delivery is ~ $555. Nonnegotiable! So I don't know about the $750 'special order' but I have five dealers close by to get bids from...

The "made in Japan" question is because some VINs start with a J, so I infer made in Japan.

Price so far: I can get a base LE for ~$17K, but with my options -> $21K ! It sure sounds like a $2K profit for the dealer.

Reply to
Hank Simon

I got mine on May 2003 for the 2003 LE. I paid $17,500 (below invoice) which include the ABS, side airbag and carpet. It sounds the best deal I ever have. It maybe better if you get the stuff after market instead maybe cheaper, you can trade in the tires, rims for whatever you want. Only down side is you have to shop around.

Good luck

Nonnegotiable!

Reply to
wingbay

The base LE is $16K in California. The increase in price with options like ABS and airbags is not linear. You're probably at $18K plus options. ABS and side curtain air bags are not a port installed option, they are factory installed.

Reply to
Steven M. Scharf

I would not pay the $750 either. Fact of the matter is that it is cheaper for a dealer to order a car that is already sold. Keeping inventory cost money. Whey you order, they do not hold that car in inventory. I cannot believe they would try that. I guess anything to get another buck out of you.

Maybe you should try this approch with the dealer/sales scum. "Let me help you save money. I will buy a car from you that you never have to pay inventory tax on. In addition, you can keep that other car on the lot to sell to someone who needs a car today". Sounds like win/win to me.

Scot

Reply to
Scot

Great idea Scot :))

Ben

Reply to
Ben

Folks -

Thanx for the info and opinions:

My best price for a 2004 4 Cyl Camry SE is $21K +TTL (Special Order)

Base ~ $19K [Includes 16" Steel Wheels with 4 w Disc brakes standard] ABS ~ 300 (Anti-lock Brakes) GY ~ 550 (Side Air Bag) Deliv ~ 550 (Texas, Non-negotiable) Mats ~ 150 (Will try to negotiate) Special 750 (I will try to negotiate)

TTL ~ $1800

So my total out of pocket looks like $23K.

This info is based on a quote in 2003, so my next step is to go for bidding.

Any opinions?

Thanx, Hank

Reply to
Hank Simon