New 2009 Corolla Steering Problems

Has anyone had his problem:

I hope you smart folks can help. I have many never toyota's another with EPS with no problems. I test drove 3 other 2009 Corolla's with no issue. It's only on this 2009 Corolla purchase just days ago. It will not track true, either steer to the left or right. The steering is a cause for concern on my long 200 mile trips. It seems like I am trying to balancing a pipe on top of a beach ball, it tries to roll to either side. The Toyota service says everything is up to specs and it's a common issue with the new EPS as of date found nothing wrong. I have dropped it off again and left the car long term to see if they can find anything wrong. The service manager suggested for me to let 2 lbs of air of the front tires to 30 lbs. Thanks billrule (at) grandecom dot net

Reply to
News Reader

I believe that Toyota uses a hydraulic pump driven by an electric motor. It is basically the same as the system that powers the pump directly from the engine via a belt. If the steering pulls to one side or the other, it isn't because of the power boost system. It is probably because the front and/or rear wheels are not aligned properly.

Document your problem and attempts to have it fixed by keeping all service receipts / write-ups. Give the dealer a couple of chances to fix the problem and then complain to Toyota's regional offices by letter and include copies of your service receipts.

Jack j

Reply to
Retired VIP

Complain to a Toyota rep, they will have someone from Toyota look at it. If you test drove 3 others days ago and its days old, I would not keep it I would want a loaner till its right. He checked specs, you drove 4 of them right.

Reply to
ransley

Thanks Jack..

It's the new EPS Corolla 2009 brags that it dont use hydraulic for steering but a new kind called EPS. The Toyota Service can't find anything wrong and says since it's new for the Corolla it's just one of it's quorks for now.

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
News Reader

Hello Mr. Ransley,

Yes - I just dropped it off again and just told the Toyota deal to just fix it. I drive 200 miles round drip and it's like driving an old shopping cart. The master tech says the electric motor for steering is so new they don't have the info to progam it. Since I don't want to get killed I have rented a car. I saw many folks have reported the same issue with "National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)" (under Search Compaints)

Thanks that are some smart folks on here.

thanks, Bill

All my Invoices show - 332 Steering working to Fact. Specs at this time

Complain to a Toyota rep, they will have someone from Toyota look at it. If you test drove 3 others days ago and its days old, I would not keep it I would want a loaner till its right. He checked specs, you drove 4 of them right.

Reply to
News Reader

A few days old, you have return rights I think, you have a saftey issue. I would have tried to demand a loaner. If other EPS ones you tested were ok then the dealer isnt being fair. Toyota corporate would be your best bet to complain at now.

Reply to
ransley

If you drove 3 other identical cars and only yours had this problem, then you should not accept any response from the dealer other than a new car, or a repair you are happy with. Stop being nice to them and offer them the two options I just described. There are no other options.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

EPS uses a motor or servo on the rack instead of an electric pump.

Reply to
Ray O

Besides the Corolla, Toyota hybrid vehicles use EPS so that power assist is not lost when the engine shuts down and the vehicle is operating in electric mode. Toyota electric forklifts also use EPS.

Ask the dealer service personnel if they drove the vehicle at the speeds where the condition is the worst, and if they have contacted the Toyota's technician help desk.

Also, have they checked alignment specifications? Additional positive caster can help reduce vague steering or poor tracking.

If you are still not getting a satisfactory explanation or result, call Toyota's customer relations department at 1-800-331-4331.

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks Ray (and the others).. I will call Toyota's customer relations department on Monday.

You folks are sure helpful. I just expected SPAM for a response.

Thanks,

Reply to
News Reader

You're very welcome. Please let us know how things turn out so I'll know what to tell anyone else that comes up with a similar complaint.

By the way, have your 17-digit vehicle identification number (VIN) number, the name of the dealership you have been dealing with, and if possible, the names of the people in the service department you were dealing with handy when you call the customer relations number. Have a pen and paper handy in case they assign a case number to you.

Reply to
Ray O

Call and email and fax, get it on written record you will have yourself, a call is not a record, even the cheap shit dealer needs a letter from you, the owner, not the manager. And dont forget the most important part that will get attention tommow, That the car is unsafe and they are liable for refusing to fix it should you run off the road and kill 100 kids because of a defect, Threats and fear should work wonders on a 3 day old car that none of the others you tested displayed. As for rental money back and a loaner. I always have gotten loaners free, ok other makes of car but it makes no difference.

Reply to
ransley

Thanks Mr. Ransley,

I hope AutoNation has a good customer support #. We just wanted the car fix. Ask a backup .. just our money back and shop down the street.

"Sign on Wall"I am stupid on posting pictures.. here it is in text BTW: It's an autonation dealer in Texas

Low Prices Best Selections

Money-Back Guarantee

Finance Guarantee

Call and email and fax, get it on written record you will have yourself, a call is not a record, even the cheap shit dealer needs a letter from you, the owner, not the manager. And dont forget the most important part that will get attention tommow, That the car is unsafe and they are liable for refusing to fix it should you run off the road and kill 100 kids because of a defect, Threats and fear should work wonders on a 3 day old car that none of the others you tested displayed. As for rental money back and a loaner. I always have gotten loaners free, ok other makes of car but it makes no difference.

Reply to
News Reader

Work with the dealer and see if he can get you into another one. But I wouldn't accept that kind of steering on a days-new car. A lot of cheap parts in today's Toyotas unfortunately.

Do file a complaint with NHTSA where you found them and call the Toyota 800 number. Maybe a lawyer too.

Reply to
johngdole

NHTSA is a good idea. My neighbor is a Chicago newspaper auto columnist, tell em your friend is one and this is a good NEWSPAPER Story.

Reply to
ransley

Thanks..

I don't want anything .. Just fix.. The alternative would be a replacement car. Thanks your help.. I will let you know today what happens.. I am going to call Toyota this morning..

Thanks, Bill

NHTSA is a good idea. My neighbor is a Chicago newspaper auto columnist, tell em your friend is one and this is a good NEWSPAPER Story.

Reply to
News Reader

Stop posting pictures. It proves nothing. Instead, go find the TEXT which describes the exact terms of their money-back guarantee. Post the text here, even if you have to get someone to type it for you. Make sure it's typed perfectly so everyone who reads it here can make sense of the legalities described in the text.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Hello Jack, We have almost the same problem with our new Corolla (2009). Toyota service told me it a normal steering (issue) problem with this year of car. So far there is no fix that they can do. I think I am driving a shopping basket at

60 mph speeds. My car wanders all over the road.
Reply to
Toyota Driver

Try adding 5 PSI to your tires, WBMS

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Hello Mr. Hunter,

32 plus 5? 37 cold?

In google we saw 3 other accidents involving 2009 Corrolla's accidents. They blamed it on car went out of control.

Reply to
Toyota Driver