22RE - problem - H2O in #2 cylnder and oil

Has any one had this problem and know how to fix it or what is going on?

I?ve got a 92 pickup with a 22RE motor. I just rebuilt the entire motor (bearings pistons chain head etc). I started the rebuild b/c I was getting H2O out the tail pipe from what I thought was a blown headgasket. I had everything redone and tested; ei the block and head and valves. Now it is all back together and I have the SAME problem........ It is running great no CEL, idles perfect, just I?m getting coolant into the exhaust.

any ideas????????

Reply to
frankzao

This sounds normal. Combustion produces water, along with those more notorious products. It dribbles out of most exhausts, until they become hot enough that it emerges as invisible steam. HTH.

(BTW, one reason why short trips encourage corrosion back there.)

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

snipped-for-privacy@deltrak.demon.co.uk (Andrew Stephenson) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@deltrak.demon.co.uk:

Except that our young feller says: "...I?m getting coolant into the exhaust."

This appears to mean he's getting much more than just water.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Perhaps he just thinks it's coolant (unless his coolant IS just water?)

He DOES call it H2O, doesn't he? (sounds like water to me)

-Gord.

"I'm trying to get as old as I can, and it must be working 'cause I'm the oldest now that I've ever been"

Reply to
Gord Beaman

When you originally pulled the head, did the HG show signs of leaking? How were the block and head tested? Were the tops of the pistons real clean? Was there coolant in the oil or vice versa before the rebuild or now? Are coolant and engine oil levels going up or down before the rebuild or now? If you pull the plugs, can you smell coolant on any of them? Have you run the engine long enough after the rebuild to get rid of any residual coolant in the exhaust?

Reply to
Ray O

Water in the cylinder and the oil is a sign of a blown head gasket. You should have overheating problems too. If you don't have overheating problems now, you will soon.

If you get water out the tail pipe on initial start up in the morning, or anytime of day, then this is condensation that is being blown out. This is not a problem.

I replied to the Subject line, then read the entire post. I see no reference in your post to water in the engine or the oil, it's just in the exhaust pipe as far as I can see. If this is accurate, then you have no worries, except that the condensation in the exhaust system can cause you to need new exhaust parts soon. I suspect you have leaks in it already, but that is another topic.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

He said "coolant", but we can't really tell if he knows it is coolant or if it is normal water vapor that comes out when a cold engine is started.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

"Jeff Strickland" wrote: snip

OR... maybe his coolant IS water?...

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Well, while that is entirely possible, I suspect it is not true. Isn't straight water in an aluminum engine a bad thing?

I suspect he is seeing normal condensation coming out of the tail pipe on start up. I hope not, because he rebuilt the engine because of it, but based on what we know so far, this is my guess and I'm sticking to it.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

That's my gut feeling too...

-Gord.

"I'm trying to get as old as I can, and it must be working 'cause I'm the oldest now that I've ever been"

Reply to
Gord Beaman

You're right; he did; zot. My apologies if I set the dogs on the wrong scent trail.

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

I got the impression that the OP rebuilt the engine himself. After all, how may people would pay to rebuild an engine that old? Assuming that the OP rebuilt the engine him or herself, how many people who are that mechanically inclined don't know the difference between normal condensation in the exhaust and coolant? That's like saying a guy who built his house with his own hands doesn't know the difference between a drywall and wood screw.

Reply to
Ray O

Don't think so Ray...read his first post carefully, I think he paid to have it done...not the brightest decision ever made by mankind I'd say (if I'm right)

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Gord Beaman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

OR... Maybe his coolant is akka-haul. :)

Reply to
TeGGeR®

I've lost the first post. Anyone that would pay to overhaul an engine that old probably wouldn't know the difference between coolant and water. Of course, someone accepting money for the job might not be the most scrupulous tech out there so who knows if the work was even done?

Reply to
Ray O

It would be nice if the original querant now posted a comment on our subsequent discussion: to help things along, as it were. Or was it a drive-by posting?

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

mechanically

It's comforting to think that if one actually HAS the ability to rebuild a motor, then he or she would recognize normal condensation dripping from the tail pipe on start up. But the description, without any further detail, sounds like condensation dripping out the tail pipe, and not like anything that demands rebuilding the motor.

I have to admit that I am a bit confused here. The Subject Line talks about water in the oil and in a cylinder, and this points to a cracked head and/or a head gasket problem, but the story he told makes no mention of these issues and only points out the water dripping out of the tail pipe. given the Subject Line, rebuilding the motor is a reasonable approach, but given the story told in the body of the message, I am not sure that rebuilding was the correct approach at all.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I'm with Ray on this one. I got the impression the OP did the work himself. It appears he took the head out for inspection, but I got the feeling that he took the motor apart and put it back together.

Not that this makes the decision any brighter, by the way.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Could be...in any case we don't really have a lot of info...

Reply to
Gord Beaman