4runner 4cyl backfire problem

When I accelerate under under light load I am getting a occasional backfire. I have checked the EGR and spark plug wires and it is fine. Before I was getting a random missfire in cylinder #2. I have had a chance to run a compression test. But I assume that the valves can be adjusted to compensate...

Reply to
randall.shimizu

What model year is the 4Runner? Which engine? Carbureted or EFI?

Reply to
Ray O

Sorry it is a 1997 4runner. The dealer said that the 3rvz engines have soft valve seats and need a valve job around 130,000 miles. The problem occurs when primarilly when I accelerate from when I am stopped at signal etc...

Reply to
randall.shimizu

Reply to
randall.shimizu

Several things can make an engine backfire, and bad valves is one of them. I think your dealer's diagnosis is probably correct.

Reply to
Ray O