84 Tercel Fuel Pump and Brake Reservoir

My 84 tercel 2 wheel drive wagon has a leaking fuel pump and a leaking brake fluid reservoir. Before I tear into them, a couple of questions that someone might be kind enough to help me with.

  1. Its hard to tell where the fuel pump is leaking. Is it likely that the mouting gasket is the source or could it be internal, requiring a new fuel pump?

  1. In my shop manual the brake fluid reservoir seems to be sitting on two "gromets" which appear to be similar to gaskets in their function. Is it likely that this is the source of the leaking?

Any thoughts?

Reply to
james

I don't remember if the 84 Tercel has a mechanical fuel pump or an electric one.

If it is a mechanical pump that is mounted on the engine and the fuel is leaking down the outside of the engine and the fuel line connections are tight, then the leak is probably the mounting gasket. If there is fuel mixed with the crankcase oil, then the leak is internal.

If it is an electric pump and it is leaking, replace the pump.

The source of a brake fluid reservoir leak is a moot point. On a 22 year old vehicle, replace the entire master cylinder if any part of it is leaking. If you have experience rebuilding master cylinders, you can get a rebuild kit but I would not recommend trying this without a very experienced person helping you out.

Reply to
Ray O