'89 626 drums...again!

Yup! Mazda got it right with the Miata, the rest of their stuff is in catch-up mode, although their new SUV's seem to be selling well.

Reply to
Ray O

I'd say my '99 MAZDA 626 with the V6 engine (and 5 SPD) is the most reliable car I've ever owned. Original battery, shocks, exhaust, etc. It's only had a new timing belt as it was due, and fresh brake pads all around (discs just needed a bit of touchup). All electrical switches, etc. still function perfectly. Around 140,000 KM now and close to eight years of driving in winter and summer in western Canada.

Now if I had the 4 CYL engine, I hear I'd possibly be singing a different tune... It's apparently NOT up for the task at hand. I didn't like the power when I was doing a test drive, so sought out a 5 SPD with the V6 engine. Now I've got a real screamer. On reasonably level highway, the only upper limit seems to be the engine red line at 7000 RPM in 5th gear! Now that's breathing room!

Reply to
Anonymous

I wasn't talking about how well the Mazda was made or designed, I was talking more about how they were selling (or not selling) compared to its competition. I have not driven a Mazda in over 10 years so I'm not really in a position to judge the car on its merits as a car.

Reply to
Ray O

See alt.binaries.images.fun. Mazda Breake Drum Removal, #

Steps 1-9. The shoes were GOOD!

Reply to
Hachiroku

=?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_=1B$B%O%A%m%=2F=1B=28B?= wrote in news:gtrmi.4443$225.3920@trndny03:

My ISP doesn't carry that group.

Reply to
Tegger

get one that does!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Hachiroku

=?iso-2022-jp?q?Hachiroku_=1B$B%O%A%m%=2F=1B=28B?= wrote in news:4TAmi.4709$225.4649@trndny03:

OK, I managed to see the pics.

Now I see why Comboverfish advised the use of a hub puller. You had a press-fit ball bearing on the spindle, not old-fashioned tapered bearings. This is why you had a tight stake nut holding the works together.

A shoe adjustment mechanism OUTSIDE the drum? Never seen that before. The pic was blurry so I couldn't figure out how it worked.

It would be nice if you could post this to your other message in rec.autos.tech, if for no other reason than to update Comboverfish, who gave you the best advice.

Reply to
Tegger

Did you see the 'bonus' pic, # 5 or 6?

Reply to