91 Corolla A/C idle up valve

I would like to ask for a 91 corolla A/C idle up valve (ACIV) Assuming A/C is switched on and set to the coolest position. During warm up there isn't problem (If I remove the connector to the ACIV the engine will run very slow and almost die off due to the A/C load) After the engine has warmed up for some time, even when I remove the connection to the ACIV, the engine remains the same speed. If I turn the throttle a bit I can hear a click sound coming from the ACIV. I believe that the ACIV is on once I run the engine slighty faster eg 1300 rpm.

Is it normal that the ACIV doesn't switch on whenever the compressor clutch is latched?

I have this problem because I've a problem with the A/C idling speed which is about 900rpm (after warm up) and I believe is not fast enough. Definately I can just adjust the screw at the throttle but this would shift the idle speed when the A/C is off as according to Hayes manual idle speed is 700 rpm for manual

Appreciate any inputs. Thanks

Richard

Reply to
Richard

I do not have the idle up specifications handy, but the AC idle up to 900 RPM sounds about right to me. The idle up should only be in the neighborhood of 200 RPM.

Reply to
Ray O

My 1986 (carbureted) Corolla, with a smaller, weaker engine, is supposed to idle at 750 RPM (automatic) with the A/C turned off, 900 RPM with the A/C running.

I've gotten lots of wrong fuel system information from Haynes and Chilton books. Chilton gave the wrong procedure for adjusting my Nissan's idle, while Haynes listed the wrong fuel system. That's why I always check either a factory manual or a Mitchell (libraries).

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly