'93 Toyota XTD cab auto transmission

I have a 1993 Toyota, Xtra cab, deluxe, long bed truck with an auotmatic transmision and overtdirve. I bought used with only 87,000 miles on it from my cousin about 3.5 years ago. It now has about

119,000 miles on it and has been running flawlessly until recently. I had a freeze plug weaken which caused a slight, drip. I took it to an idependant shop for the repair. But, as many times happens, the repair of one leak in an old cooling system, often times another one is started. The third freeze plug leak was one that required the transmission to be dropped in order to make the repair ... ever since, the shifting sequence on this automatic transmission has been all out of whack. It shifts late and hard and sometimes won't shift at all unless you let up on the accelerator. I've taken it back twice and they have returned it back to me stating that they fixed the problem by adjusting the "drop down" rod / gear....? They haven't charged me for any of their work because admittedly they created the problem. However, while these guys may be ok with "lubes and tunes", I don't think that transmisions are a field of expertise for them. So, my questions are, what do you suppose the problem is? who do you recommend I take it to for repair and finally, what are the chances I'm gonna get this shop to pay for it? With regard to the shop ... they are good guys but they just can't get it right and I'm sure like so many of us, I don't have the time to keep going back and forth. I just want to get it fixed! Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks, Henn House

Reply to
Henn House

If you want it fixed properly, your best bet is probably a Toyota dealer unless you know a good independent shop. Most likely, the throttle cable is midadjusted.

Reply to
Ray O