95 4Runner front end rattle

I have a 95 4Runner with 136,000 KM and have reccently noticed an annoying rattle when I go over small bumps. Today I tried it in 4WD and there doesn't seem to be a rattle. When I go back to 2WD the rattle returns. Any Sugestions?

Casey snipped-for-privacy@telus.net

Reply to
cvj

Check your front CV's

Reply to
hachiroku

What is the best way to check them?

If I go under and grab the front driveaxle, there is a bit a play between the drive shafts and differential. This is on both sides. I thought there was supposed to be a bit of of play because they are not engaged? If I check it on my friends 94, it has the same play.

Casey snipped-for-privacy@telus.net

Reply to
cvj

What you're looking for is a clunk between the shaft and the wheel. If you hold the shaft and have someone rock the wheel, there shouldn't be any kind if clunking or clicking. At best, very, very little.

Also, check the shaft from the transfer case.

Reply to
Hachiroku

There is no clunking or clicking sounds. I have an appointment for next week for service. I will get Toyota to look at the rattling then. I have found many postings on the internet about this problem, and no one has said what the final outcome was.