95 Corolla heater vent

I have just purchased a 1995 Corolla, all works fine except the heater. The heater air is either cold or hot, nothing in between. It seems like the air mixture valve or flap or whatever controls the mixture is not working. any suggestions ? Need help.... Its cold

Reply to
bettinamike

This is interesting. Now, when you say cold or hot, is it by chance? I mean, one time you start the car and get cold air, and the next time hot, or do you mean moving the lever makes the air either cold or hot?

If you look on the firewall, where the hoses enter the firewall for the heater core, you should see a valve on the intake hose. There should be a cable connected to it (this is assuming this system is NOT controlled by vacuum...), have someone move the lever from cold to hot and back. If, while moving the lever it stays all the way to one side, and then all of a sudden jumps to the other side, then the cable is probably binding somewhere. This is pretty intensive, you'll have to take a LOT of the dash out to figure out there it's binding (unless you're a LOT luckier that I!)

If it's controlled by vacuum, then the best I can tell you is look for a cut or pinched or blocked hose somewhere...

Good Luck!

Reply to
Hachiroku

It looks like it is the heat control slider itself that is out of wack. If I move it around a bunch it seems to "sometimes " fix it.

I have an other question, how do you remove the dash cover that goes over the radio and heater ? do you just pull it off ? I cant seem to find any screws. I also want to get to the stereo to replace it.

Thanks for your reply Mike

"Hachiroku_$B%O%A%m%/(B" wrote: > On Sat, 23 Dec

2006 18:25:33 +0000, bettinamike wrote: > > > I have just purchased a 1995 Corolla, all works fine except > the heater. > > The heater air is either cold or hot, nothing in between. > It seems like > > the air mixture valve or flap or whatever controls the > mixture is not > > working. any suggestions ? Need help.... Its cold > > > This is interesting. Now, when you say cold or hot, is it by > chance? I > mean, one time you start the car and get cold air, and the > next time hot, > or do you mean moving the lever makes the air either cold or > hot? > > If you look on the firewall, where the hoses enter the > firewall for the > heater core, you should see a valve on the intake hose. There > should be a > cable connected to it (this is assuming this system is NOT > controlled by > vacuum...), have someone move the lever from cold to hot and > back. If, > while moving the lever it stays all the way to one side, and > then all of a > sudden jumps to the other side, then the cable is probably > binding > somewhere. This is pretty intensive, you'll have to take a LOT > of the dash > out to figure out there it's binding (unless you're a LOT > luckier that I!) > > If it's controlled by vacuum, then the best I can tell you is > look for a > cut or pinched or blocked hose somewhere... > > Good Luck!
Reply to
bettinamike

Look Here (With a tip of the hat to Ray O.):

Hachiroku