toyota automatic starlet cd

my car won't start every time. It will usually start 1st thing but if I leave the car for 1/2 hr or more then try and start the car again it won't turn over. I did put it in gear then back to park which seemed to help somehow at 1st but now it won't start until about 6 or more trys. The garage thought it was the inhibitor but checked it & said everything looks & seems fine but the problem seems to be getting worse. I drove 40miles last week stopped then got back in & wouldn't start so it's not the battery. Any ideas anyone???pls help?

Reply to
snooch34

It is possible that the contacts on the starter solenoid are worn and need replacement. If inspection of the solenoid shows worn or damaged contact, the contacts are available as replacement parts (at least in the U.S.). If you cannot get replacement contacts, then you may have to replace the starter solenoid or entire starter.

There is a neutral safety switch in the transmission that only allows the starter to engage if the transmission is in park or neutral. If it does not start in park but does start in neutral, have the transmission neutral safety switch checked.

Reply to
Ray O

What Ray said.

You did not describe the symptom with very much detail, but Ray hit the two top suspects. Given the symptom you describe, I'd put the Neutral Safety Switch ahead of the starter relay or selonoid, but like I said, your description is a bit lacking. If you try Ray's ideas, you'll hit the possible things.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland