95' Toyota Corolla

I just redid the timing belt the other day and after I got all the belt back on the car started up fine for about 10 seconds. It then died and I couldn't get it to restart. I checked the plugs and found out that it was flooded. The next morning I took all the drive belts off (not the timing belt) and it started up fine and ran great. I then put all the drive belts back on and got the same thing as I got the night before. I checked my Altenator and Water pump and they both turned freely and they didn't have any problems with them before I did the timing belt so I'm thinking the timing might be too advanced. Any thoughts?

PS: It's the 1.8L 4 Cylinder engine

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

When you say that you think the timing might be too advanced, do you mean ignition timing? Why do you think the ignition timing is too advanced?

I would check to make sure the camshaft it timed to the crankshaft correctly and not off by a notch or two.

Reply to
Ray O

Thank Ray, now my baby is running great again.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

You're welcome!

What fixed the problem?

Reply to
Ray O

The camshaft wasn't timed to the crankshaft correctly. Sure made for some freaking weird symptoms though, I'd never heard of a car running w/o the drive belts, but not running with them before.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

The most common reason for no-start or running poorly after a timing belt replacement is mis-timing so that's where I always tell people to start looking.

Glad to hear you're up and running again!

Reply to
Ray O