96 Avalon air condtioning

I was wondering if anyone had a problem like this: Had my Avalon 7 years, and from the first, the air won't stay on...it cools while the light on the button is on, but when it flashes it turns off. I turn it back on, it might work a few seconds, or a few days, then goes back to staying on whenever it wants to. I have had the condenser and compressor replaced over the years, had a module that the mechanic called a "radio" temporarily put in (didn't work). Any ideas? It's getting more and more regular, but the mechanic said it might have to totally die before he could diagnose, since it is so sporatic. Help??

Reply to
Ray Nichols

The flashing AC light is the clue. When the AC light flashes, the system has detected a difference between the compressor and engine RPM. This can happen when water splashes on the pulleys, if the belt it worn, glazed, or the wrong profile. You could have a pulley that is not spinning freely, something could be hanging up the compressor or clutch, or the RPM sensor circuit could have a problem. I'd start with the belt and then check the RPM sensor circuit.

Reply to
Ray O