98 Avalon Battery Replacement

Do any precautions need to be taken before disconnecting or reconnecting the battery that would effect the alarm/security or any other computer system on my 98 Avalon? Someone told me that they couldn't start their car after replacing the battery and had to do something with the car door and ignition switch and battery hookup.

The original equipment battery is a Group 24R. I have been told that they don't make a 24R any more. I have been told to use a Group 35 instead but it is physically smaller. Someone else says use a 24F but that is also a different size. Anybody have any recommendations from personal experience?

Reply to
<Kent at Eureka, CA>

The original equipment battery is a Group 24R. I have been told that they don't make a 24R any more. I have been told to use a Group 35 instead but it is physically smaller. Someone else says use a 24F but that is also a different size. Anybody have any recommendations from personal experience?

People who do not post in text mode will be tarred and feathered.

I found an exact replacement premium battery for my 98 Camry V6 battery at Advanced Auto Parts. It was a 24F with the proper orientation of negative and positive. Check out their website.

I recently saw a premium 24F at Wal-Mart, but I am not sure if the positive and negative terminals are on the correct side.

You may have to reset your receiver security (I replaced my receiver with an aftermarket, so I am not sure), but I had no problem starting my 98 Camry V6 XLE after replacing the battery. Some people who reversed the negative and positive terminals damaged their electrical system, but if you get it correct you should not have problems. See your Owners Manual for more information on this subject.

Reply to
Mark A

the battery that would effect the alarm/security or any other computer system on my 98 Avalon? Someone told me that they couldn't start their car after replacing the battery and had to do something with the car door and ignition switch and battery hookup.

If the radio has a security code set, make sure you either know that code and how to reset it, or clear it out before you start.

They make battery trickle chargers that plug into the lighter socket to supply those memory loads while changing a battery. You could cobble one up with a small Gel-Cell battery and a tail light lamp in series - if you accidentally short or ground the cables while working the lamp acts as a current limiter.

don't make a 24R any more. I have been told to use a Group 35 instead but it is physically smaller. Someone else says use a 24F but that is also a different size. Anybody have any recommendations from personal experience?

The only difference between a 24 and a 24R is the terminal polarities are switched - See if your battery cables are long enough to reach while swapped, that's by far the simplest solution. Buying a longer ground cable once will save you trouble every time the battery needs changing.

They make other dual-terminal batteries (side and top post) that will fit and work. Sometimes they provide a riser that clamps to the bottom of the battery like a booster seat to get it to the same height...

But all battery makers have substitution plans to cover almost any car with a restricted offering of 12 - 20 different basic batteries - they lose money if they can't get one to fit in your car and the competition can. And they lose money if they have to make 40 discrete sizes and the competition can cover the range with 20.

There's no problem using a battery that's physically smaller as long as it meets the CCA and Reserve Time needs of the car, and you can clamp it down in the tray properly.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

The cables on my 98 Camry XLE V6 are not long enough to swap sides, but I was able to find a exact fit premium battery from Advance Auto Parts. They replaced my old battery free of charge in the store parking lot.

Reply to
Mark A