98 corolla timing chain tensioner

Hi,

I have a 98 corolla, manual transmission (76,000 miles) and the timing chain tensioner seems to start leaking oil every couple of years and needs to be replace. On two occasions I've had the tensioner replaced twice within six months. I was beginning to wonder if this was a scam by the dealer until I saw oil dripping from the suspension on my car yesterday and I brought it in to the dealer today and I was told the tensioner they had put in last July "failed". They didn't charge me anything or make up a story to extort money so I guess they're honest but does anyone know if this is normal? Is this a design flaw? Is there anything I can do to avoid this problem like warming up the car (which I don't do even during the winter here in the north east US) or driving like a grandma (which I do pretty much anyway)? The problem seems to keep happening even when I drive less (I retired a few years after I bought the car) so could the problem be due to corrosion/deterioration rather than wear? Can I buy a galvanized titanium or carbon fiber reinforced composite timing chain tensioner anywhere that will last longer?

Thanks

Reply to
vutf5diykxjjmnj

We don't hear much about multiple timing chain tensioners on Corollas in this ng. How many miles do you drive per year and how often do you change the oil? Do you use any oil additives?

Reply to
Ray O