2001 Corolla not Shifting

I have a 2001 Corolla that on occasion will not shift (manual transmission). The clutch works and it is out of gear but the stick shift will not move. I haven't experienced it myself but my daughter has. I have had it at two shops (one a transmission shop) and they can find nothing wrong. Of course it is working perfectly when it is in the shop. Any ideas?

Reply to
Ken Horton

If it can't be replicated it didn't happen by definition.

Reply to
badgolferman

You need a new daughter?

Here's an idea; since it works for you, but not for her, why don't you go for a ride with her driving and find out what's not working properly. My guess is the clutch pedal. It needs a foot to press it to the floor.

Report back with your findings.

Reply to
Hachiroku

There are several possible causes of the condition...

More or less in order of likelihood:

1) the operator is not depressing the clutch pedal far enough; 2) something is obstructing clutch pedal travel; 3) the nylon bushing on the shifter is wearing or broken; 4) there is incorrect fluid in the transmission; 5) the clutch slave cylinder is failing 6) the clutch master cylinder is failing
Reply to
Ray O