A pretty productive day...

Had to have the tires on Mom's '86 Camry changed a few weeks ago, and noticed one of the rotors was getting gouged. So, I ordered pads and rotors, but last weekend was lousy.

So, today I actually went out and bought a REAL jack, and went to it. Even though it is 20 years old, it's been garaged all it's life, so things weren't rusted to hell. What a pleasure working on something that I didn't have to worry about SNAPPING something on!

The brakes went really well, so while I was at it I thought I'd do an oil change. There was only about TWO QUARTS in the engine!!! It doesn't leak, and it doesn't burn oil, and it doesn't get driven much.

So, I changed the oil, and while I was down there I noticed the tranny pan right there, in the front of the car. A check of the tranny fluid showed it was dark red/light brown, and smelled a little 'fishy', so back to the parts store for a screen and a gasket. The whole thing cost $11, with another $9 for Castrol MIII/D.

Never done a Trans fluid change before, but it looked pretty straight forward, and after hearing Ray, et al say, Drop the pan replace the screen, replace the pan, how tough can it be?

I only could find a really crummy 10mm socket, and some of the bolts were rusty, so I took a 3/8 and loosened them, and then discovered an 11/32 or a 7/16 (can't remember which) fit the rusty bolt heads perfectly!

My GOD, does that stuff STINK!!!! It came out a light brown; I couldn't use the drain because I didn't have the right size thingy...(Hex head?) So, I just loosened the pan from the rear and let it drain that way. A good 3 QTS came out; changing the screen was a snap, and the gasket and the pan went on fairly well (thank God, because by this time the sun was well on it's way behind the mountains...) I carefully put it all together (I *REALLY* didn't want to snap a bolt off at 6:30 on a Saturday evening!) and took it for a ride and it went pretty good, but not the crisp shifts I remembered. Put in another 1/2 QT to bring it up to Full Hot and Voila!

Now, I gotta go put my arm in a sling...it hurts from patting myself on the back!!! ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

What's the current state of opinion on this? I have read that if the trans fluid has NEVER been changed, then it's better to leave it alone for the rest of the car's life unless the trans needs rebuilding. Only change regularly if you've been changing regularly since the car was new.

Reply to
larwe

If the automatic transmission fluid (ATF) has never been changed, then it should be changed but not flushed. If the ATF has received regular flushes, then flushing will not harm anything.

Reply to
Ray O

Hopefully, you got some real jack stands as well!

IMO, it is not really necessary to change the screen if it is not clogged or full of metal particles.

When you re-attach the transmission pan, hopefully, you tightened the bolts in a star pattern so that the gasket is evenly squished.

Attaboy for helping mom out! Now, you can come out to the Chicago area and I'll let you try out my air ratchet and practice R&R'ing the starter, which the associated R&R'ing the engine cover and intake manifold!

Reply to
Ray O

I've ALWAYS had Jack Stands! Only a fool (like the woman that did the brakes on her Explorer on scissors jacks and CRUSHED HER FOOT in Springfield) would work with only a jack!

Shoot, man, I'm a coward! I often use ramps AND jackstands!

Actually, the screen that was in there looked REALLY good, and I had remembered what you said about cleaning the screen, but the gasket was $9.95, and the gasket and screen were $11 as a kit!

Absolutely!

Um...I've been following your posts about this one! Um, HOW much do you like this car?!?!

Reply to
Hachiroku

No, the only restriction is to not do a Power Flush where you exchange 100% of the fluid if the history is unknown. Especially if the transmission has been abused in the past and has burned fluid (smells and looks it) is acting funny or notably about to fail.

For some odd reason, experience shows that the power flushing service hastens the end of the trans and the eventual rebuild. The estimate of "you have six months left" goes down to 'you drive out of the shop and get about three blocks away and it dies'.

A normal trans fluid change where you drain the pan only changes about a third of the fluid, most is trapped inside the torque converter. Changing one-third of the fluid volume and the filter or screen ever 30K miles or so is inexpensive and plenty to keep the detergents and additives in the fluid refreshed.

If the fluid shows signs of burning or abuse, just move the next service up to 15K, and make sure the car has a proper transmission cooler and you (or the regular driver) stop doing whatever they were doing that was overloading and/or overheating the transmission.

(One nasty way to toast a trans fast: Holding position at an uphill stoplight with the throttle instead of the brakes creates a lot of slip load and generates tons of heat. You can't do that with a clutch without almost instantly smoking it, what makes you think a torque converter can do it with impunity?)

You will still need to do the rebuild eventually, but it more likely than not won't be a sudden failure.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

She doesn't know about cars, so she has things done according to the book! :)

The screen looked good, and the fluid was a very very light brown.

You're preaching to the choir here! I used to work for a Used Car Dealer, and we did a flush 'n fill ONCE, and the guy who rented our 'service bay' for a detailing shop did a flush 'n fill ONCE, and we NEVER did another one again!!!

If the fluid is too black and brackish, it's about the ONLY thing that's still providing the friction needed for the tranny to work! Flush that away and...

But in this case, it has had regular servicing, and it works fine!

Reply to
Hachiroku

I hate to laugh out loud at other people, but as I mentioned, we did this to an Escort at the Dealership I worked at, and the guy who rented our bays for a Detail shop did with an Escort, too. We ALL learned a lesson (especially in BOTH cases they drove out of the shop and got about three blocks away and NO further! ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku

A lot attendant at a local dealership was working on his personal vehicle after hours, and he did not listen to one of the techs who told him to wait while he took a car for a test drive. When the tech got back, the attendant was crushed under the vehicle that had been held up with a scissors jack. The attendant chose not to use the lifts, floor jack, or jack stands when he got under the car.

Better to be a live chicken than a dead duck!

I guess for that price, it's worth replacing the screen.

I've had this car for a couple of years, I really miss getting a new car every quarter! That said, it is worth a little more money if it starts!

Reply to
Ray O

Your mother is lucky to have such a caring son :-)

Reply to
Built_Well

(It was a relly nice day, and none of my cars were in need of such easy repairs... ;)

Reply to
Hachiroku