AC problems with 2000 Echo

"mark_digital©" ...

Um, yes I can afford one, and it wasn't the car I was knocking in that comment. I was knocking the holier-than-thou arrogance of that particular owner. "Look at me! I'm saving the planet!"

:-P

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

I agree with him for the most part. It's quite likely undercharged. You might have a small leak. Mine never freezes, and I live in humid capital USA.. IE: Houston.. It's so humid here, when I drive at night all my windows fog up on the outside. Bad.. The only way an evap coil can freeze is if the coil temp drops below freezing. That is usually due to either being low on refrigerant, or a possible restriction of the intake air, IE: clogged filter, or too cool temps outside. Being it's summer, I'd cancel the last.. You might check the filter.. It's somewhere under the glove box area. If it's not dirty, I'd have the system checked. It's probably just a bit low on 134a. MK

Danke!

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

"Cathy F." ...

EXACTLY. Driving the thing is fine, but to make it that obvious was obnoxious.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

I agree with him for the most part. It's quite likely undercharged. You might have a small leak. Mine never freezes, and I live in humid capital USA.. IE: Houston.. It's so humid here, when I drive at night all my windows fog up on the outside. Bad.. The only way an evap coil can freeze is if the coil temp drops below freezing. That is usually due to either being low on refrigerant, or a possible restriction of the intake air, IE: clogged filter, or too cool temps outside. Being it's summer, I'd cancel the last.. You might check the filter.. It's somewhere under the glove box area. If it's not dirty, I'd have the system checked. It's probably just a bit low on 134a. MK

Hugh, what keeps the evap coil from freezing is the systems controls cycling the compressor to keep the evaporator the correct temperature. That's why it cycles unlike building comfort cooling (a/c) systems compressors that never cycle off when in cooling mode.

Reply to
Danny G.

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@e9g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

Well, in a perfect world it should, but obviously it wasn't cycling enough to keep the coil from icing up. Probably from fairly high ambient temps. Would depend a good bit on the location of the T-stat sensor too I think. But in hot weather, it's going to be pretty unlikely for the coil to freeze up even if it runs non stop, unless it's low. My a/c rarely cycles off and on in the summer unless the fan is real low. Many of the newer home systems do cycle the outside unit, or fans according to pressure. Some of the high end units now come with a matching "smart" T-stat. Some of those can be used in very cold weather. MK

Reply to
nm5k

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@e9g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

Name one that the compressor ever cycles off during cooling mode?