almost in accident, i hit the brakes

right after i was driving on the freeway, and my steering wheel was shaking. i went directly to tire store where they informed me i ruined my tiresbought new ones, got an alignment & balanced tires, i still have a problem wheni hit 70mphifeel a little shaking in steering wheel & when i brake something dont feel right? please some advise...........

Reply to
lorena

Could you be a little more specific besides "something dont feel right?" What happens when you brake hard? What kind of car do you have? What's the mileage? Did they check the brakes, shocks and suspension while servicing your car?

Under normal situations, steering wheel shake is "typically" a wheel balance problem (unless you have some radical problems with your tires [or shocks] -- but you just had them replaced).

It's unlikely but possible one of the new tires is defective.

I would go back to where you bought your new tires and have them checked again for proper balance. If they hassle you (which a reputable tire dealer should not) than have one of the mechanics go for a ride with you so you can duplicate the problem for him/her. You could also have them rotate the fronts tires to the back and see if the shaking is better or worse. If better, it means the problem tire(s) was moved to the back.

When you brake hard, your car should not shudder or pull to the left or right. Assuming that your brake pads still have a good amount of material left on them and that they are worn evenly between left and right sides, then it's possible that you have a warped brake rotor (shuddering). Brakes pulling left or right may be a sign of faulty hydrolic components on one side of the car (front or back).

Later.

Reply to
Private Person

A shake when cruising at highway speeds usually indicates a tire problem. Usually the problem is caused by out-of-balance wheels and tires but sometimes the tire itself could have a problem, like a broken belt.

A shake when applying the brakes usually indicates warped rotors and/or drums. This can sometimes happen after a particularly long and hard panic stop, if the driver has a tendency to ride the brake pedal, or if the brakes got very hot from a panic stop, long downhill slope, or tendency to ride the brake pedal and then hitting a puddle of water. Depending on the severity of the warpage, replacement of the rotors and/or drums may be necessary. They can sometimes be machined but the warpage tends to return so replacement is a better long-term solution.

Reply to
Ray O

As I understand it, you were driving with steering wheel shake, when you tried the brakes they didn't work initially?

If the above is correct then the first suspect will be wheel bearings. The wheel bearing play has allowed the rotors to push the brake pistons back, which then means you have to press the pedal further to take up the slack before the brakes work.

It sounds as though your car needs a professional service.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Sounds like a good diagnosis MrC. I might add that a dented alloy/rim can create a shake like just as a badly balanced tyre can - im suffering with two dented rims as i speak and i can confim it shakes like something gone mad at around 70 - obviously that depends on the damage extent and location though.

Coyoteboy