Are H-Rated Tires Neccessary

Its time to get new tires and everyone is trying to sell me H-rated tires. BTW they're never on sell....

Reply to
Da Ghost

It is an issue of high speed rating of the tire (protection against catastrophic tire failure), emergency handling, braking, etc. If you have Camry, that is what your car was designed to use. It is calculated risk if you get S or T tires for a car designed for H rated (or above). Up to you.

My theory is that people who buy cheap tires, are more likely to buy cheap condoms. People who buy used tires (like the guy in the other thread complaining about tire noise) are more likely to wear used condoms.

Reply to
Mark A

I buy used tires, and I don't wear condoms.

No need to.

For one reason or another...

Reply to
hachiroku

Why would you even consider anything less?

Reply to
J Strickland

If you are the only one in the room, what's the point?

Sorry, had to do it.

Reply to
J Strickland

Cost.

But it would help to know what kind of car he has.

Reply to
S.S.

'K...it was expected! ;)

(I really don't leave myself open like that not knowing ALL the time, ya know...)

Reply to
hachiroku

If everyone is trying to sell him H rated tires, chances are it is a Camry or Avalon (unless it is a truck or SUV or Minivan). Some tire dealers will not install a lower speed rating than specified by the manufacturer as OEM specs because of liability issues.

Reply to
Mark A

Sorry, I have an Avalon 1997... At this point I have H-rated...Directional tires on it....

Reply to
Da Ghost

Just don't do it the other way around.

Merritt

Reply to
Merritt Mullen

Ask for Lee here:

He'll set you up with proper Avalon cushy H-rated tires and at a good price.

Reply to
FanJet

"Da Ghost" wrote in news:J90Be.103468$gc6.84642@okepread04:

I just bought new tires for my '97 Avalon. NTB's Yokohama AS430's. (supposed to be Avid H4S remarks, rated good at Tire Rack) They ride MUCH better and quieter than the Michelin MXV-4$$$'s I replaced. In 20+ years I've always used Michelin's as replacements. I've been converted, at least this time around.

Use H-rated's, if your brother or whoever drives your car, heck even a car thief, and goes faster than the r rated tire and a tire blows and the car wrecks, the ambulance chasing lawyers with lawsuits will be hovering over you like buzzards.

Reply to
Unk

'H' rated tires have a sustained top speed rating of 130 MPH. Not much change of an Avalon blowing a tire at anywhere near that speed. He could go all the way don to 'S' rated tires and still not need to worry about a Camry or Avalon exceeding the tire rating for half an hour.

SPEED RATING SYMBOL km/h mph P 15 93 Q 160 99 R 170 106 S 180 112 T 190 118 U 200 124 H 210 130 V 240 150 W 270 169 ZR over 240 150

Vehicle speed is limit by an onboard limiter, except for vehicles originally equipped with ZR rated tires

mike hunt

Unk wrote:

Reply to
BenDover

Unless you plan to cruise above 90 or 100 mph a lot, there is little need for H tires over a S type tires. You might spilt the difference though and get a T tire which is rated up to 112mph and they do not fail at 113MPH either and all have some reserve by design.

Reply to
SnoMan

You don't need directional tires, but you do need the H rating.

Reply to
J Strickland

I found them at

for $66 for H rated tires. Costco has them too.

Reply to
J Strickland

Try Y-rated tires, like what's on my Supra, sometime. Ouch! 8)

Reply to
dizzy

Dizzy, you actually OWN a Toyota? I thoght you just came here trolling for Conservatives! ;)

What kind of Supra (well, obviously, the Toyota kind, Duh!) But what year, model, engine, etc?

BTW, this it the FIRST time I have EVER heard you talk about a CAR!

Reply to
hachiroku

Actually, I think I liked Learning Richard's idea: Remove the tires, narrow the rims and ride on train tracks everywhere. Just think, set the cruise control, sit back and read the paper!

Reply to
hachiroku

No, I was here long before the political circus started...

I own a 1998 Supra twin-turbo 6-speed, with (of course) the mighty

2JZ-GTE engine. I bought it new, 7 years ago. It has 36,000 miles on it, and the wing was long-ago removed. 8)

It occasionally comes up, this being a Toyota group and all... 8)

Reply to
dizzy