Outback Tires? H rated really needed?

I have a 2000 Outback and need to replace the tires and the only recommened tire is an "H" rated tire.They are approximately $200 Ca. Has anyone put a normall good tire on and had any adverse effects. Thanks Dave

Reply to
Dave and Daphne

Edward Hayes

Recommended? This appears to be your problem. There are lots of tires available in that size and rating that are relatively inexpensive. Go to

and check out your options. In the all seasoncategory, Continental ContiExtreme Contact and Pirelli P6 are both goodtires and only US$81 each. You can check
as well. John

Reply to
Fred Flintstone

Unless you plan on exceeding 180 KPH, you don't need H-rated. However, H-rated has a stiffer sidewall, so you get better handling. If that is not important to you, then I would go with the S-rated.

Reply to
FNO

the outback has very high sidewalls ( high profile tire ) you do not want a tire that does not meet minimun rating ( it's not just speed )

there are lots of great online tire places in canada as well

tiretrends.com or i use talontire.com

shipping is cheap, out of province saves provincial tax and my local mechanic installs for ten dollars a tire

i know you can do a better price and still get a good tire

( don't forget that your life may depend upon approx a 3" square patch of rubber )

snipped-for-privacy@canada.com

Reply to
330xi

Dave,

Ron here, did you get the suspension noise checked out?

Tires: here is my recommendation FWIW;

Canadian Tire Motomaster Touring 160s. Long-life, very quiet, nice ride, all-season but I would not recommend them for harsh winter conditions (we have Nordic Icetracs on steel rims for winter tires). Probably S-rated. Nicely priced at $124.99CDN per tire but wait for a sale (got mine for $94 apiece last summer).

Hope this helps

Reply to
Rockin Ronnie

Reply to
LC Brian

i have a set of 4 low mileage Michelin XW4 205/70 15 95S tires off of our '99 outback - 90+ % tread left ( these have a wear rating of

400 - easily go over 100,000 k )

we put snows on the stock mags after 1st winter and put on 17" wheels with summer rubber

a reasonable offer will find a new home for these

snipped-for-privacy@canada.com Ottawa, Ontario

Reply to
330xi

Where did you get the quote?

I bought some Dunlop 205 55 16h for 150 bucks cdn each about two years ago.

And i think 205 60 or 65 (not sure what's the profile like for outback) should be cheaper than 55 for the same tire

"Dave and Daphne" ¦b¶l¥ó news:UJo%b.2431$ snipped-for-privacy@nnrp1.uunet.ca ¤¤¼¶¼g...

Reply to
foxmon