Asbestos in Toyota brake linings?

I've been reading conflicting info saying asbestos was banned (in general) in the U.S. in 1989, but is still used in various brake linings because of industry protests. Many mechanics are apparently unaware it's still there. I try not to inhale the fine brown/black dust inside brake drums but it scatters easily.

I understand many modern pads & shoes are made of a metallic conglomerate but specifics are elusive. Does anyone know for certain whether Toyota still uses asbestos in brakes? If they don't, what YEAR it was discontinued?

JT

Reply to
Jack Tyler

It is simply not available as a source material to make into brake linings. It has been off the market for quite some time.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

Can you give a year (and source for it) that "quite some time" refers to? What I've read says we're still importing and using brake linings with asbestos in them (see links). I'm trying to find the last year that Toyota used asbestos in factory brake pads and shoes.

JT

Reply to
Jack Tyler

Funny you bringing up asbestos. I heard that way back in the 60's a major tissue mfgr used asbestos to make the tissue softer. This was before they found out it was carcinogenic ;-)

noneyabusiness

If you are changing brakes in your own car or truck, you don't need to be overly concerned what thepads are made of. If you are a brake professional and spend your days changing brakes for your customers, then the materials in brake pads should be a consideration.

Even working on your own car, you obviously want to take care to not spread clouds of brake dust, then take a deep breath, but if you exercise reasonable precautions, you will not suffer any ill health affects. I don't think that asbestos is limited to Toyota brake linings, by the way, not is it limited to original equipment parts.

Reply to
J Strickland