Echo brake damage?

My son says my 2000 Echo suddenly started making a grinding noise while braking, and that it has a tendency to lock up for no reason. I'm hoping it's just normal wear and tear, and not yet another holdover from that rear-ending it took back in June. Any thoughts?

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Oh it's going to the shop at 7:30 tomorrow morning! You know me better than that!

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

"Wickeddoll®" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.evilcabal.org:

Grinding is pretty much ALWAYS a sign the pads/shoes are down to the metal!

What Craig is describing is the rotor/drum having galled, meaning it's probably beyond salvation. Better take it in quick before more damage is done. If you catch it in time, it MIGHT be machinable.

Yes, there is a wear tab that squeals when the brakes are worn, but that's only on the inside pads on discs. Rear drums have no wear tabs.

How long will Craig admit to having driven with this noise?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Have a competent technician examine the brakes before more damage occurs, WBMA

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I think your brakes are toast, but it has nothing to do with the wreck.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Not postive myself, but if there's grinding in your brake system, get it to a shop ASAP. You do NOT want to lose a rotor while driving along at 50MPH...

-LMB

Reply to
Louis M. Brown

OK Natalie, when was the last time that car was in for regular maintenance? Our Toyota dealer (and other make dealers) will go over the car and tell you what work is needed now and what can wait. They include an estimate on how much longer your brakes will last. I change the engine oil myself and take advantage of that time to rotate the tires and inspect the CV boots, tires, suspension and brakes. On the Camry V6 I had, this was easy because it has 4 wheel disk brakes.

Reply to
ma_twain

Ya know, now that you mention it, when I took it in for some special service that cost us about $400 a year or so ago, they told me there would be a problem with the brakes in the future, but I forget how he described it. The car is 5 years old, and being driven by a teenager; it's actually done quite well! It's going in tomorrow morning at about 7:30 - you should know I wouldn't sit on something like that!

Thanks for the input

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

All of them, or just the one he can hear on the passenger side?

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Only today - he came home from school and immediately told me about it

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

"Wickeddoll®" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.evilcabal.org:

Good for him. He must have figured he wouldn't get in shit for confessing, which would show considerable restraint on your part, all things considered...

If it's just been the one day, the drum/rotor might be salvageable.

Ever seen what happens if you let it go and go and go...and *then* tell somebody?

van belonged to my neighbor. Guess how long her van had been grinding? "Oh, it just started". Yeah, right...

Reply to
TeGGeR®

EGAD

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Shoot! My Mom's Camry was dragging for a few MONTHS, and when I had them done at the shop, (remember? I couldn't get the old drums off???) the guy that was doing it had the drums on the lathe, I said, aren't those toast? He said there was enough for at least one more turning, and they way she drives, that'll be ANOTHER 10 years.

Reply to
Hachiroku

It wouldn't be gravel obtained by a bit of 'off-roading' I hope?

Reply to
Gord Beaman

I have to check the drums on the Work Van sometime this week - no noise, but they said the rear shoes were getting 'close' when they put front pads on - and that means check them in every month /before/ grinding is heard.

Aren't those the very expensive slotted rotors for racing? ;-P

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Well, if I was the guy working on your car, I'd replace the same parts on both sides of the car on the same axle, regardless of what the other side looked like.

My assumption is that the brakes simply wore out, and if the right side is gone, the left side isn't far behind. Now, there is a possibility that there is a problem with one side that is not affecting the other side, and at which time, I'd give you my honest advice and let you decide how to move forward. To be perfectly honest, I'd steer you toward my service strategy of doing both sides because the unaffected side still has wear on it that will be out of synch with the other side, this synch issue will haunt you forever.

As part of my service activity, I'd also be looking at the other axle to see if anything needed to be done there. If there was any service needed, I'd show you the parts and explain what's up.

After all of that, there is the outside chance that the wreck is the problem you are having today, but my inclination at this time is to suggest that you simply have worn out parts and need routine brake service.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Hmmm he *does* go paint-balling on the weekends, in the woods

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

That makes sense to me - I was thinking the same thing, actually.

*nodding*

That's what I figured, but I didn't want to let State Farm slide, if there was a chance the rear-ending was the catalyst

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

You allow him to have sex with paint? That's kinky. How does he get the paint off his balls? Never mind, I don't really want to know.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

*pulling mind out of gutter, again*
Reply to
Jeff Strickland