Avalon Cruise Control

2000 Avalon XLS We recently got in a fender bender with our Avalon. We rear ended a Saturn. The Saturn got a scratch on the bumper. The Avalon kinda' went under the Saturns bumper and ended up with a $5,340 repair bill (ouch!) Anyhow, the body shop did an excellent job and it looks good as new. Anyhow, on the highway yesterday, I clicked on the cruise control. The little "cruise" indicator light went on but the cruise wouldn't engage. I'm going to take it back to the body shop but I'm wondering what the trouble might be. I checked the three fuse locations but couldn't find one for the cruise control. I don't see any loose connectors nor unplugged vacuum lines. Thanks. jor
Reply to
jor

If the "cruise" indicator light illuminates, then the fuses are good. If the cruise light is flashing, the cruise ECU detected a problem and has disabled the system.

Did the steering wheel air bag deploy during the accident? If so, then check the connection of the clockspring between the steering wheel and steering column.

Check to make sure that the cable from the cruise actuator under the hood is connected to the bellcrank on the throttle body.

Check to make sure the rear brake lights are not illuminated and that the switches for the service brake and parking brake are properly adjusted.

Reply to
Ray O

Since it was crashed, it should be covered in the claim if it was insured. Don't attempt to fix it yourself if you are claiming that. The last thing you need is a denial by the adjuster because the owner was trying to repair it. Call the body shop and let them take it from there, even if it has to be sent to the dealership for additional repairs, this is very normal for these issues. IMHO.

Reply to
user

Thanks, guys. I'll check out Ray's options and I just called the body shop to take it in. The air bag didn't deploy btw and the cruise light doesn't blink. jor

Reply to
jor

You're welcome, let us know what they find!

Reply to
Ray O