brake pedal problem

I have an 89 toyota corolla with a brake problem:

Pressing down the brake pedal, with a relatively low amount of pressure, the pedal seems to have gone all the way down, as i can feel the pedal hitting a bottom and hear the knocking sound. However, at this point, even at around 10 - 20 mph speeds car continues to move forward and can't get the tires to skid.

When I press down a lot harder beyond that point, even though the pedal doesn't seem to go any further, I can get tires to skid. But I mean.. really a lot of pressure compared to what I know how brakes should be.

I don't really feel the problem when driving normally, but a hard brake reveals that I need to do some extra thinking other than reflexes in case of emergencies.

Any one had the same problem or have any ideas?

Thanks.

Reply to
ykutluay

======================= Master cylinder - rebuild or replace

Reply to
nospampls2002

I recommend that you not drive the car and have it diagnosed by a competent technician ASAP. Possible causes are worn brake linings and / or mis-adjusted rear drum brakes, leaking caliper or wheel cylinder, or bad master cylinder.

Reply to
Ray O

I agree...you've got a bad Master Cylinder. The problem you describe is called Pedal Fade. (Brakes seem to work fine under highway driving conditions, but in city stop & go traffic, the pedal goes to the floor.) Probably better to replace with a new one instead of a rebuilt. The Master Cylinder body is aluminum and probably has some pitting in the bore. Also the steel pistons inside have worn away some of the anodizing, which caused the pitting problem.

Reply to
: P