Brand New Used Truck!!!

OK, I did it. I know nobody knows me here. But I just bought a brand spanking new used truck!! I used to own a few Landcruisers, a 66 FJ40 a

68 FJ40 and a 87 FJ60. All were good vehicles, all were plagued with rust. As of lately I owned a Subaru Outback with a safari type roofrack on the top. It has gotten a little small for me to take the wife, two teenager, full load of camping gear, kayak, ect... A friend bought a new Porsche 911, and offered to sell me his barely used Tacoma, at a really good price. It is a 2002 and has 27K on it. it is a Doublecab Prerunner with a V6. I bought it. now I have a couple of questions. Are there any weak points? I know some 3.0's had horrible headgasket problems. Owning a truck has opened up a whole new world of possibilities. I plan on putting a set of Yakima racks on the roof for Kayaks. then loading the bed with camping gear. We have also now considered a Pop up camper since we figure we can tow with it. Do I need to put on an aftermarket transmission cooler? Do I have to to with OD off? What about synthetic oil? Any help in the car and feeding of this wonderful truck would be most appreciated.

Jerry

Reply to
jerryeveretts

I am not aware of any major weak points on 2002 Tacomas.

If the truck has the towing package, it may already have a supplemental transmission cooler beyond the cooling that the radiator normally does for the ATF.

You should not have to tow a pop-up with the OD off unless you get a lot of up-and-down shifting.

IMO, synthetic engine oil is not necessary if you are going to change it every 3,000 to 5,000 miles.

Reply to
Ray O

I have a 2000 Pre-runner V-6. That is a 3.4 engine and I have had no issues with mine and I have not heard of any problems with the truck at all. The only thing that I would mention is the what they call Drive line wrap-up. Most pre-runners seem to have it. It happens sometimes as you are coming to stop, or sometimes just as you take your foot off the brake you will feel a clunk. There is not a fix for this problem that I know of. Just a slight annoyance in an otherwise perfect truck. Scott

Reply to
zonie