breaking cars in ... (RAV4) ..

Hi all,

The RAV4 I want is 250 miles away and will involve a dealer trade in, so by the time the car gets to me it will have 250 miles on it .. should I worry about this?

Will this affect the break-in of the car?

If even so, wouldn't the person driving it presumably be aware of this? (not that they might care since it's not their car).

Me thinks I'm worrying too much, yes??

Presumably the next time I post here, I will have the car, assuming all goes well :-)

eb

Reply to
EB

No.

No. When you pick up your new car, you can just get in and drive. I would avoid towing anything for the first 1,000 miles or so but otherwise, just enjoy your new ride!

Reply to
Ray O

The car buying advise books I've read recommend NOT trading like this. However, I got my RAV4 from a dealer trade almost 300 miles away and had no problems. Just make sure you have the right to refuse the car if its wrong or damaged. As far as break in goes I guess these engines are fairly immune to moderate abuse. I got the V6 and its got a lot of excess power so its hard to overwork it! They like to hire retirees for drivers so I suspect they tend to take it easy.

rj

Reply to
Ron Jones

It should be fine. Dealers move cars around for all kinds of reasons including to 3rd party service shops for installing non-dealer options requested by the customer. Most drivers get paid by the hour, and have their driving records checked often. Your car is just one of many in their day or week.

Reply to
toyomoho

Man, you don't want to HEAR about some of the things that were done to cars at the dealer I worked at.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Hachiroku wrote: >

How is this in any way helpful?

If someone at the dealership wants to screw with the car they don't need to drive 250 miles, they can do it right there. I guess I'll be naive and assume people will do he right thing, esp if there is zero reason to do otherwise.

To everyone else who posted, thank you.

eb

Reply to
EB

I once bought a VW Jetta (mistake #1) and wanted a red 2 door with a

5-speed. The nearest one was in New Jersey (mistake #2) It was the WORST car I ever owned.

Can't find anything suitable closer, in a different color?

Reply to
Hachiroku

All car dealers _say_ that. They really do!

I live near a local "car dealer row" where most brands are represented on one major street. Trust me, they don't drive them how you will.

One time I even turned three brand-new Nissan pickups into the State Police for racing on I-91.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Could a new owner arrange to take personal delivery at the remote dealer's premises, then drive it home carefully? It might save a few pence/cents too, as a DIY job.

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson

Yes, I am thinking about that option too.

EB

Reply to
EB

The problem with this is you would probably have to complete the sale at the home dealership before picking up (and seeing) the car. This is risky!

rj

Reply to
Ron Jones

Not at all...just buy it from the remote dealer.

You do not HAVE to buy from the local dealer....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Just an update, I decided to be more flexible on the color.

I really was set on silver, but decided to go with the metallic light green (not sure what the official name is)

It was on the lot with 2 miles on it :-) I'm about to drive to pick it up (I was there earlier, but needed some additional paperwork).

Yipiee!!

Reply to
EB

That's why the local dealer is usually reluctant to tell you exactly the location of the car being traded. Mine would only tell me "Michigan".

rj

Reply to
Ron Jones

I think it was EB who stated:

"Everglade Metallic"[*], maybe?

HOOT! Tha's PURDY!!

Almost as nice as the "Mineral Green"[*] we got on our '05 Camry as a compromise (I wanted silver; she wanted gold; this color is BETTER).

Exciting, ain't it? Somehow picking up ANY used car, no matter how desirable, isn't quite the same as NEW.

[*] Who comes up with color names? I remember my daughters going into hysterics from reading the color names in the JCPenney catalog when they were little. "Pale Camel" got them in such a tizzy I thought we'd have to call for a rubber truck to haul 'em away . . . .

-Don

-- Pooder approved this post . . . .

Reply to
Don Fearn

The Internet is your friend....

They can run, but they can't hide...

Reply to
Scott in Florida

LOL! The catalog I get from Campmor has to list "translations" for Columbia clothing so people will know what color periwinkle is.

The first digit of Toyota color codes denotes the basic color, although the appearance does not always seem to be the base color.

0 is white 1 is silver 2 is black 3 is red 4 is brown/beige/gold (I call it Earth tones) 5, 6, and 7 - I forget which is which, but I think 5 is yellow and 6 is green, I have not clue what 7 was for. 8 is blue
Reply to
Ray O

Congrats on the RAV! :-) Tanukiki

Reply to
tanukiki

thanks!

now I'm looking for all sorts of excuses to drive .. he he ..

Reply to
EB

Yup, that's the one!

I like it .. silver would have been cool, but this is both cool and a bit different :-)

Agreed!

Pale Camel? that's a good one!

eb

Reply to