buying Sienna now How did YOU do it?

Hi all,

We are finaly buying a Toyota Sienna minivan! (YAY!) ... Originaly thought of paying cash, but looking into option of financing it for 5 years. (Financial advisor said for our situation its a better option to finance.) I wonder how did you guys do it? Bought it cash, financed or leased? How much was finaly price (out the door) after tax, registration fee (and what else)? Mainly if you financed for 5 years at what % ?

The dealer told me that regarding daytime running lights "it has to be programmed that way, and if you want I will do it".. Are there 'programable' things to this mini van? And ONLY the dealer may do it??

Thanks alot, Erina

Reply to
Erina Mashes

In order to compare final out the door prices, the vehicles have to be same level of trim, with the same options.

Yes, there are programmable things to the Sienna. I don't know about the daytime running lights, but the keyless entry and automatic headlights are among the programmable features.

Someone other than a dealer can program it but you will be hard pressed to find someone other than a dealer who knows how to do the programming.

Reply to
Ray O

Ray,

Package #6.

Reply to
Erina Mashes

Check out SiennaClub.org on the web. The #1 Toyota Sienna info. source in the world!

You can find postings regarding ways to get better deals and what you can/can't program yourself, among other topics.

Later.

Reply to
Private Person

"Erina Mashes" wrote in news:KEqve.2514$Q27.579@trndny02:

Do your homework before walking into the dealership. Financing isn't at the dealership for convenience of the customer, it's a profit center.

Investigate the rates you can get from your bank, online, and a credit union. Any numbers you can get will help you understand what you are being offered at the dealer. Also get a copy of your credit score and credit report (these can be obtained online for a nominal fee and there are many sources of free trials for services that will give you the info then you simply cancel the service immediately).

Also consider using a home equity loan as a funding source. It's not right for everybody but it is a consideration.

Armed with all this info, we went in, made our best deal, and then talked to the finance guy. The financing process was no different than the buying process. The first offer wasn't the best they could do and I knew it. I asked for my credit score suddenly the process changed and the numbers got much better. When I wavered on the extended warrenty, it came down as well and the pot was sweetened with some included scheduled maintenence (oil changes, tire rotations, etc.)

When all was said and done, we went with financing from the dealer (through a regional bank headquartered in the same state actually) for 63 months (same rate as 60 months, I'm making payments as if it were for 60 months plus a little extra). The finance guy beat my local bank by almost 3%, the credit union by almost 2% and the best number I could find online by about 1.5%.

Reply to
Tony Rice

Unless your money is doing really good in the stock market or bonds then I'd pay cash. What can you get a car loan for?

Your owners manual will tell you about configuring the door locks and some of the light functions. The DRLs are enabled/disabled with a fuse jumper under the hood.

Reply to
Dbu_^

Tony,

Thanks for the info!! Your message here is helping me make the dealer make a better 'price' for me!

THANX!!!!!!

Reply to
Erina Mashes

If you got cash, pay cash.

Reply to
Art

While that's true, it also doesn't rule out getting the best rate from the dealership.

At the end of last month, when we bought our van, our own bank wanted more than 8% for 5 years new car rate. Capitol One was offering 5.3% for same. We ended up going with Toyota Financial Services when they offered 5.25%. We did opt for a $500 rebate instead of a 3.9% offer, mainly because we put 50% down and intend to pay the loan off before it matures.

Later.

Reply to
Private Person

I have a 1998 Toyota Sienna... if I had it to do over I would buy a Honda Mini Van... also have a friend that purchased the first model year of the new Sienna's and he feels the same way.... I am really disappointed in my Toyota experience!

Reply to
Jim Simonin

"Private Person" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Your experiences almost exactly mirror ours. We opted for a slightly higher rate because the finance guy offered to lower the price of the extended warrenty. Even if I pay the vehicle off in the number of months specified in the loan, I'll save a little money. If I pay it off early as planned, I'll save a lot more money.

Reply to
Tony Rice

He's full of it. Cash has three big things going for it:

1: No financing or interest. Essentially a 0% loan. 2: No payment. Given the way the economy is teetering and showing signs of instability, owning it outright means that your monthly cashflow if times get bad is that much less. 3: You don't have to get collision on the car if you don't want to, or you can drop it down to saner levels to save a lot.

Financing is just money in somoene else's pocket and like your house payment, sometihng that you are locked into no matter what life throws at you.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

On that note, the Honda is a better minivan. OTOH, it's overpriced and is bland as paste. The Toyota is also simmilar, btw.

You might consider one of the hybrid vehicles(not HYBRID-engine) that are half SUV and half Minivan. They are usually made better and last longer. Or just get a factory certified 4-runner. Nothing wrong with that. :) (I'm not a fan of any minivan)

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Honda overpriced? The Honda van is actually the best priced on the road if you can avoid dealer gouging.

Reply to
Art

Driving a $25k vehicle without collision insurance is nuts. Get a high deductible but keep the collision coverage.

Reply to
Art

Let's see, if I wanted something that had AWD or 4-WD and I needed something that could haul a piece of plywood, would I get a HONDA or one of the current import HYBRIDS or a Sienna van? BUZZ! The Sienna is the ONLY one with AWD and can fit a full-size sheet of plywood. Those were my requirements, along with 4-wheel disc brakes and ABS, and that's why I bought the "lessor" minivan... 1/2-)

Later.

Reply to
Private Person

I'm not a financial advisor or accountant and I don't know if Joe is or not. I don't know the OP's financial circumstances and I doubt if Joe know them either so I'd take an uninformed person's advice with a grain of salt if it contradicts the advice of a professional.

If the OP's money is earning more than what they would pay on the interest on a loan, that it might make sense to let the money earn the higher return

Cash has three big things going for it:

If you have paid cash for a car, the advice I'd give on whether or not to get collission coverage is whether or not the owner is willing to gamble the price of the vehicle and whether or not the owner has the financial means to repair it without insurance.

This is true if your money is earning the same or less than the interest on car loan.

Reply to
Ray O

If you need to haul plywood? SUV or truck and don't play games with the suspension. Trying to get a van to work like a truck isn't a proper way to solve the problem.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

True, but few people do better than break even. Moost loose in the end trying this strategy.

Note, comprehensive is still included, as weould underinsured and uninsured motorist and the rest - just not accinents that are your fault. In any case, it IS a strategy if you have an inexpensive enough vehicle - often a thousand a year in savings. Over 5 years, that's a good chunk of money.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander