Camry (1991) - starter won't turn if weather is very cold

Camry (1991) - starter won't turn if weather is very cold Just a click from the starter motor. Keep trying for a few minutes or just huddle up for a few minutes in the freezing weather and then it starts. Then it won't catch and will take more turns than normal to run.

Any ideas why?

Thanks

Reply to
Camry91

Weak or dead battery?

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---

I doubt it...more likely bad contacts in the starter relay or poor high current connections in the start ciircuit (battery posts etc)

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Old cold weather trick! Turn your headlights on for about 2 minutes, then try starting it.

Reply to
Tom in Macon

Tried this but not for two minutes -maybe 30 secs because I was scared that whatever juice was left would get drained. I will try the full two next time.

Reply to
Camry91

Battery checked ok as did the alternator.

---MIKE---

Reply to
Camry91

Reply to
Camry91

Ok...it's looking more and more like bad high current contacts inside the starter relay...look at where that big ~half inch wire connects to the starter relay (beside the small wire that you cleaned). The big wire comes directly from the positive post on the battery, they're usually connected to the starter relay by a big nut...and directly across the relay usually has another big nut on a terminal which leads inside the starter body. A good way to check whether the problem is the relay contacts or a bad connection elsewhere in the high current path is to get one of those 'test lights' (12 volt bulb on test leads) and connect it 'across' those two big nut terminals (one wire of the tester to each nut - or you can use a voltmeter if you wish).

Now try a few engine starts...notice whether the light 'lights' only when you hear the click (and the engine doesn't crank). That will prove that the relay contacts are bad.

Reply to
Gord Beaman

OOPS, sorry...the light should STAY LIT (if the contacts are bad when you try)

(Didn't proof read it - my bad)

Reply to
Gord Beaman

Thanks. I will try that.

The car's been behaving itself ever since I threatened it with the junk yard.

The weather's cold enough - It's been -14 without the windchill.

(I actually called. Highest offer on the phone: $80).

Reply to
Camry91