1991 Camry won't start warm

I have a 1991 Camry (4cyl) with about 130,000 miles. Overall it runs great, however occassionally when my wife has been driven it for a while and decideds to run into a store when she comes back out the car won't crank over. She ends up having to wait for about 30 minutes for the engine to cool before the vehicle will start up.

So far I have replaced the following:

Starter Ignition switch Main EFI relay

The car always starts right up when the engine is coldI have a 1991 Camry (4cyl) with about 130,000 miles. Overall it runs great, however occasionally when my wife has been driven it for a while and decides to run into a store when she comes back out the car won't crank over. It seems like no power is making it to the starter. She ends up having to wait for about 30 minutes for the engine to cool before the vehicle will start up. Once the engine has cooled it starts right up everytime.

So far I have replaced the following:

Starter Ignition switch Main EFI relay

The car always starts right up when the engine is cold. If anyone has any ideas I would be glad to hear them. I am thinking of replacing the Coolant Temperature Sensor, does anybody have any thoughts on how effective this might be?

Thanks in advanced,

Reply to
jpleming

A possible neutral safety switch problem.

Reply to
timbirr

Ask someone who knows if this system has a coolant temperature sensor. The ECM may be reading bad coolant temp data and trying to start a warm engine as if it was cold.

No experience here with Toyota, but I have seen this with other Japanese makes.

Reply to
RACEGUY

I may have misread your discription of the symptoms as someone tried to point out in another post. Does the starter roll over, or does the input from the key simply give you a click, or no response at all.

The usual symptoms of bad input from the coolant temp sensor will be a starter that rolls normally or faster than usual, but the car acts (and may even smell) flooded.

Reply to
RACEGUY

I will bet you put in a rebuilt starter and that is your problem, once I went through 3, then got my money back and bought a new OEM unit

Reply to
m Ransley

Could it be the "Ignition Control Module"? Does anybody have experience with these failing?

Thanks,

Reply to
jpleming